Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Doncaster 2023.

Chris Lambert has just posted a poll here for choice of event dates for next year for Doncaster. If you are interested get your vote in ASAP as the sooner we get a date the earlier we can book our rooms at Doncaster East.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...DONCASTER-2023

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-24-2023 at 09:07.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

After a chat with Captains Duff and Patch at Hammerhead last week, I have made a start on the senics for our game Copenhagen, coming up at Doncaster this coming September.

Here is my rendition for the backscene of the City inspired from paintings of the period by Nicholas Pocock, and C A Lorentzen, plus a couple of other unnamed prints.

Rob.

First I made my master copy, and then deleted the unwanted foreground, before dividing up the scene into three sections ready for enlarging.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1541.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-13-2023 at 04:10.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The next stage was to enlarge the sections of the print and add the countryside on either side. They then had to be trimmed to match.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I now positioned the four pictures on the backboard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All in place, they were now ready for spray glue to afix them to the backboard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst waiting for my new spray can of glue to arrive as the one I had was nearly empty, I began work on the 3D elements of the scenics with a look at the Trekroner fort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trekroner_(Copenhagen).jpg   trek4.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-14-2023 at 02:07.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next with the help of a plan of the fort glued on the templates for my base units.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterday I managed to cut out the main parts of the fort base and then glue them onto the supporting template.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1544.jpg   IMG_1543.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I then added the supporting outer and inner walls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1546.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now starting to build the upper works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1548.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have now begun to glue some of the upperworks in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1551.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The main building is now completed and I have pasted up the template for the final section of the outer works prior to roughing it out on the Abra saw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1552.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also completed the backscene of Copenhagen ready for September. Just the 3d side models with the costal batteries to add now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails background.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-23-2023 at 13:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cutout now completed and ready to add to the fort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1553.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And now the fort is completed and ready for the first undercoat tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1556.jpg  

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    And now the fort is completed and ready for the first undercoat tomorrow.
    Are you sure your eyesight is failing? That looks great!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    One of the advantages of my good eye being really shortsighted. I can follow very small details as long as the lighting is very strong.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Undercoated and now ready for painting the details.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1557.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The fort is now painted and grassed, just awaiting the placement of its batteries and the raising of the Danish Standard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1558 - Copy.jpg  

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The fort is now painted and grassed, just awaiting the placement of its batteries and the raising of the Danish Standard.
    Outstanding! Is the white building entirely scratch-built?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The white building was scratch built save for the frontage which is based on this one from Langton's.I cut the top down and bent the two ends just after the windows to form the 30 degree angled wings to the building. Then added the rest of the works. It just had the right number of windows to match the original.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m28.gif  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-27-2023 at 12:42.

I have a model of the Trekronner fort but in 1/2400 scale. Hallmark made all the ships for the 1801 battle in that scale, which I have all painted and ready to go.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And here is the completed fort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1560.jpg   IMG_1586.jpg   IMG_1588.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I have a model of the Trekronner fort but in 1/2400 scale. Hallmark made all the ships for the 1801 battle in that scale, which I have all painted and ready to go.
    I will be interested to see the pictures of your fort and ships Eric.
    Rob.

I will be interested to see the pictures of your fort and ships Eric.
    Rob.
    I'll dig them out for a shot.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Eric.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I started work on embedding the coastal batteries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1622.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Work slowly progresses whilst I await some much needed plasticard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1623.jpg   IMG_1624.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sculpting to all three terrain pieces completed, and sealing glue layer applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1626.jpg   IMG_1625.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today's stage was spraying the bases Earth brown, re applying watered down PVA when the surface had dried, and then dusting with grass scatter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1628.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have been mainly making hedges!
    First paint some string brown.
    Coat with dilute PVA.
    Then dust with green scatter.
    Finally hang up to stretch and dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1629.jpg   IMG_1633.jpg  

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Today I have been mainly making hedges!
    First paint some string brown.
    Coat with dilute PVA.
    Then dust with green scatter.
    Finally hang up to stretch and dry.
    Made from a simple length of string. Good idea!

Many (at least in Germany) have dealt with model railways, mostly at 1:87 scale (HO). It is beyond belief what wealth of kit can be bought for building the landscape, houses, etc. But for SoG, the scale is much different and building landscape at the SoG scale is much rarer. Thus, one has to come up with some good ideas for some things just like you did.

Lt. Bush
    Last edited by William Bush; 04-14-2023 at 03:09.
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The landscaping continues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1636.jpg  

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Beautiful work, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jonas.
    I'm just waiting for my lime kilns in order to complete this part of the shoreline.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In the meantime I have cut up the supporting sheet of Plasticard and glued it to the bases of the shore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1637.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The next phase is applying PVA to the beach and dusting with fine sand.Then when dried repeat process with a dusting of course sand in drifts and larger rocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1644.jpg   IMG_1642.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-29-2023 at 01:49.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All now tried and tested on the games table.
    See you all at Donny on Friday.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1590.jpg   IMG_1611.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now a few shots from Copenhagen.

After the traditional glass of port and briefing from Admiral Neil Nelson. (Horry could not make it) so Neil stepped in the British squadron rounds the Middle Ground and begins its assult on the Danish line.
    The trophy in the foreground is on view to put a bit of steel into the assault.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1805.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Overview from the fort Trekoner end of the line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1806.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-05-2023 at 14:15.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Manley's Gun Brig takes up its position ready to assail the fort before being joined by the three frigates in his squadron.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1807.jpg   IMG_1808.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-05-2023 at 14:14.

Nice looking set up. I like your use of the city back drop.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The first Danish ship surrenders to Captain Comben's frigate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1809.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-05-2023 at 14:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As the second ship surrenders, Captain Comben now directs his fire onto the vessel anchored between those two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1810.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-05-2023 at 14:13.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Other ships from Nelson's squadron are now moving further up the Danish line and the battle has become a general action. Note the three British ships aground on the Middle ground and the three frigates hastening past the British Bomb ketches in order to attack the forts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1814.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With three Danish ships now lost the first British ship is lost.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The oncoming British ships now advance to maul the Danish centre.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1817.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Manleys Frigates now get into action against the Trekroner Battery which has already been set on fire by the Bomb vessel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1818.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile the Danish main body is taking a drubbing from several British ships at once.
    It was at this point that Hyde-Parker signaled that the action should be broken off to which Neil Nelson turned a blind eye.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1820.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-05-2023 at 14:12.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Frigate Squadron of Captain Manley now forced the surrender of Trakoner fort and the Union Flag was raised above the decimated fort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1821.jpg