Thread: 1/1000 3D Ships on Thingiverse.com

Default 1/1000 3D Ships on Thingiverse.com

Hey shipmates, I just found these 1/1000 scale ships free on thingyverse.com

Name:  20221001_121550.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  171.6 KB

Thanks! I haven't seen these before. With Thingiverse you often get very generic or fantasy style ships.

I like the included pdf templates for paper sails.

You are welcome Eric. They are pretty generic but not too bad, considering they are free. Name:  20221004_084844.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  94.2 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 10-15-2022 at 09:02.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

I'm a modeler from way back but this whole 3D printing thing is still very new to me. The file for the ships is free but I assume we'd either need to own a 3D printer or else find someone who can print them for us, correct? Does anyone know of any places that would print them? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I'm a modeler from way back but this whole 3D printing thing is still very new to me. The file for the ships is free but I assume we'd either need to own a 3D printer or else find someone who can print them for us, correct? Does anyone know of any places that would print them? Thanks.
    I think you can get them printed on Thingyverse. There is also Shapeways. Here is a list of printers:

https://www.wargaming3d.com/licensed...rint-services/

Also a helpful article:

https://www.wargaming3d.com/2018/11/...tions-for-you/

Another freebie, Commerce de Marseille 1788, this one from PC Model Yard. They also do ACW vessels.

Name:  20221015_080726.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  141.7 KB
    Name:  20221015_080738.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  127.3 KB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

Default Turner Miniatures London 98 and Barfleur 98

Name:  568DE031-852A-4487-9AE6-31CB7ED8CC94.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  67.0 KBName:  1DFF7880-D19E-46A7-AA6E-C0BAE6D508DD.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  100.0 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The first models I printed a few years back. I wasn't that pleased.

That version of Commerce de Marseille 1788 is really good. Sadly ports are closed, but it's great for free.

Turner miniatures, from Henry Turner, together with Mann-O-War, from Simon Mann, are so worth the price.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

I am also very satisfied with the quality of the prints (resin printer Aleego Mars 3). Unfortunately, not all models are available in the finished 1:1000 scale. As a result, a few details are too small due to their own scaling.
    But these are just small things.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

When printing larger models at smaller sizes you can play with 'expansion' of details - I print on an FDM printer and have successfully printed 'in scale' models from 1:72 to 1:700 scale at scales of 1:333, 1:1000 and 1:2743 (9ft=1mm) by playing with the scaling factor, contracting by half the extrusion width overall (on the scaling tab) and then adding this lost size back as horizontal expansion to prevent thin walls being extinguished when scaling down.

Very large changes in scale are feasible if models are to be printed in one piece and moveable joints/parts are not required to mate correctly from distinct parts. I could do even more radical changes with a finer nozzle than the 'stock' 0.4mm one which was shipped with the printer. Results are 'FDM', with some visible layer lines, and not terribly good vertical 'rods', but a tilting of the model to make verticals or (nearly but not quite) horizontals at roughly 45 degrees to thicken top surfaces and increase the area of each section of a vertical rod does help with many types of print.

Previewing the print job and tweaking until it looks good on screen saves a lot of time, energy and filament (and presumably also resin, time and screen life for the resin printers).

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

OK.
    I'll take my time and look at the "Chitubox Pro" slicer program again. Maybe I can make some adjustments there. Thanks very much!