Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Counting the guns!

As the false dawn gave way to full morning light an observer on the battlements of Fort Lovrijenac could see HMS Bacchante proceeding down the channel between it and the island of Lockrum.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-28-2022 at 12:01.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

From the heights it was easy to see that the British Frigate was tempting the guns to open up, and very soon the Fort’s commander ordered just such an action.
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-28-2022 at 12:01.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was at that moment that the masthead lookout hailed the quarter-deck with the shout of “Enemy in sight, two points off the port bow!”

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Using his Dolland glass to scan the area Captain Hoste could clearly see a French Frigate clearing the Harbour breakwater.
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-28-2022 at 04:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As the Frenchman was clearly of a lesser power than the Bacchante and was heading out to sea, Hoste paid it no further attention and proceeded with his mission to count the fortifications guns along the coast.
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-28-2022 at 04:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Unfortunately it was now that the prevailing wind played him false by veering to the North Northeast, and momentarily driving his ship nearer to fort Lovrijenac’s guns.
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-28-2022 at 04:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In an instant the guns bracketed the ship with a fusillade of fire.

Last edited by Bligh; 09-28-2022 at 04:30.