Thread: After a long long search

Default After a long long search

I know this book has been shown posted before. I have been looking for an affordable copy forever and finally found one through Thriftbooks. This is such an invaluable resource for rigging and sailing tactics. I have been using rigging reference I found on-line from this book for years. Now I have my own copy! So excited!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-24-2022 at 15:23.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good book Vol. I enjoyed my copy.
    I turned it upright for you hence the double post.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Peter

Hello. Useful books on combat, sailing and naval history in the age of sail can be found at this address. They are freely available. https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/11...e-age-of-sail/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if those may be of interest Peter.
    Thanks for mentioning them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I know this book has been shown posted before. I have been looking for an affordable copy forever and finally found one through Thriftbooks. This is such an invaluable resource for rigging and sailing tactics. I have been using rigging reference I found on-line from this book for years. Now I have my own copy! So excited!

This looks interesting... It is my birthday soon, so now I have something to propose.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    This looks interesting... It is my birthday soon, so now I have something to propose.

Lt. Bush
    If you are interested in the sailing and working of square-rigged ships it is invaluable. I got my copy in 1999 when I was in a tall ship sail training class. Our captain pretty much mandated it! At that time, it was 60 USD for a new copy.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    If you are interested in the sailing and working of square-rigged ships it is invaluable. I got my copy in 1999 when I was in a tall ship sail training class. Our captain pretty much mandated it! At that time, it was 60 USD for a new copy.
    To be honest, I am not proficient to sail a boat, much less a tall square-rigged ship. I am even still struggling to handle the SoG ships without running them aground or moving them offboard...

Yet, I find such things interesting. It is knowledge that used to be common and now it is mostly forgotten. If I even understand half of what I read and what I see in the illustrations, I might get a better picture of what is actually going on when handling such vessels.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to see you studying hard for your Lts examination Mr. Bush. Next comes your navigation skills. How is your maths? Incidentally I see you have achieved Nelson today. 111 posts!

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-25-2023 at 13:18.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Peter

Yes, it is a very good book. Well written and lots of quality and clear illustrations. In other old books on the subject, which were copied or photographed, the quality of the text and illustrations leaves much to be desired.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Meanwhile, I have procured this book and can attest that it is indeed a real treasue of knowledge on how to work square-rigged ships. The many illustrations and drawings provide added attraction and detail.

The treasure within is, however, not easily raised unless you do have prior experience with sailing or, more precisely, its terminology.
    Forced to admit, that I am an 'infernal lubber' in real life, I would have to commit considerable time learning the ropes in this regard before being able to fully understand and appreciate the techniques this books describes in great detail.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.