Thread: Hello! New player on the seas!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

Default Hello! New player on the seas!

Hello from Chicago! My name's Sarah. I've only played a few games so far, but every one of them has been a blast. I look forward to getting more into the game and hobby! Thanks for having me here!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Welcome aboard! Don't hesitate to post any questions that you may have--I'm part of the research team with Ares, so may have some chance to get results. More researcher/developer and collector than player, though... my last game, I got curbstomped by a lizard on the other side of the table. (Then again, Junior's pretty smart... figured out that all he has to do is be cute and charm my mother and the gals at the sandwich shop, and they'll strongarm me into giving him part of my sandwich.)

Which reminds me, I have an idea I need to run by them about a monthly "Ask Ares" thread both here and over at the Aerodrome for Wings folks... :)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-08-2022 at 05:45.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Sarah.
    As our esteemed Comptroller of the Navy Board has already welcomed you, I can only add my official welcome to his from here over the pond. I'm sure that you will find much to entertain and interest you here on the Anchorage, and maybe even make some new friends as many of your fellow shipmates have over the years.
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to you Sarah, I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
    Any questions dont hesitate to ask.
    Best wishes from Bristol uk

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hello Sarah. There a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folk here who will help you. Check out the files section for stuff you might like and also boardgamegeek.com has some interesting things too.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

Thank you all for the lovely welcome. I look forward to becoming a part of the community!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Remember, no such thing as stupid questions only stupid answers. :) Gonna guess your username is a Battletech reference... one of the guys I GM'ed with on Wizkids Pirates in the early 2000s with was into BT/MechWarrior and a hardcore Clans fan, so that might be where the name came up. (He was more Jade Falcons though.)

Known Issues with models...
    *Special Pack HMS Victory should have a lateen mizzen for her 1765 as-built hull. (SGN108 is as refit just before Trafalgar.)
    *Special Pack USS Constitution is ~22 scale feet overlength--my bad personally, time crunch finding data and I failed to properly cross-check the primary reference against typos. (It DID seem amiss to have a frigate with a claimed length longer than a typical First Rate...)
    *Waves 3 and 4 are all closer to 1/1200 than 1/1000.
    *Waves 3/4 Spanish ships are deliberately overpowered. (Designer intent--don't look at me, I just go find the numbers not crunch 'em.)
    *Wave 4 French East Indiamen are all specifically sculpted with Bonhomme Richard's unique refits. As-built the quarterdecks need to be cut back somewhere behind the mizzenmast.
    *Wave 4 Bucentaure should have a gaff mizzen, not a lateen. (Stated reason was something about sharing mast tooling IIRC.)
    *Wave 4 Spanish frigates are significantly better one one side than the other. The weak card is for a 12-pdr 34, the strong card is an 18-pdr 44... but the names aren't always matched to historical role.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-11-2022 at 18:31.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

Yes, it is a BT reference, lol. I prefer Inner Sphere, but she's pretty awesome. And that's some great info!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The Spanish frigates, we did that way because our Spanish consultant thought the two hulls were close enough for one sculpt and main difference was the gun loadouts.

Personally, my "plastic crack" of choice was more Axis & Allies because of my "all WWII all the time" life--even though time is running out I still aim to finish my degree and chase tenure if I can find a college that will let me use Hands-On techniques like wargaming and reenacting. Things like "walk a simulated Guadalcanal patrol, then a simulated A-stan one, then a compare/contrast paper or dissertation," get you trying to imagine what it was like standing in the boots of the first man on the first landing craft of D-Day when that ramp started to drop... as close as I can get you to actually living it without having any real danger. (Sorry, to a historian worth his/her crap it's like the priesthood--a calling to remember our past and preserve our fallen's memory so future generations can avoid repeating past mistakes and they shall not have given their lives in vain.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

I only played the boardgame once or twice, but I really enjoyed the computer game. If I were to go back to school and they had that kind of class, I would sign up in a heartbeat. That sounds great!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nine times out of ten, the reason a History class sucks (when it does) is the people teaching it: dull, droning pedagogues even more lifeless than the current state of those they prattle about. My A&A was War at Sea Miniatures, I was actually involved a little with its development in later sets too suggesting things to fix, "special abilities" for unique ships and sculpt reuses. Not that different from what I do for Ares, except one is official with the company while the other was just a private handshake with the lead designer who lived nearby.

One reason you'll probably never see such a class is my lesson plans involve things like being hands-on shooting real rifles with real bullets on a range under pro supervision. (Not as a requirement, but as an option toward a "Constructive Learning Activity" requirement--others might include eating a facsimile of a period military ration and a current one, then a Compare/Contrast.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-11-2022 at 21:18.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

I feel like I remember seeing a few of those miniatures a long time ago, but I never got into them. Warhammer 40K was my first miniatures game. Eventually worked my way here, lol.

My brother actually also requested I ask you guys a question too, if that's alright? As of right now we only have the starter set (more ships inbound though) and I'm playing as the British. So far I've won every game, so he was wondering if anyone had any tips to pass on for him? Specifically he's been playing the Aquilon and the Unite, against my Vanguard and Meleager.

I think I've just been getting lucky, but he's starting to get frustrated, considering he hasn't actually sunk any of my ships yet (although he got close to sinking the Meleager last time).

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Trade fleets, first. If you still win, "it's the Indian not the arrow." Or use some Optional Rules--give him Well Trained Gunners and yourself Gunners Lacking Training. Also, Let The Men Drink gives a first-turn bonus, and maybe have him start with his guns using Double Shot.

Also, each ship log has two sides--flip his cards to the stronger side and yours to the weaker, and consider using Captain/Crew Abilities from here: https://www.aresgames.eu/11116
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

I appreciate the advice. We'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by NatKerensky View Post
    I appreciate the advice. We'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks!
    Quite welcome, it's what we're here for. :)

Similar concept to how when I was teaching young ladies from my college to shoot, we'd first have her shoot, then have me shoot, and the difference between our scores in that "calibration round" would determine how many rings on my targets were changed to Zero Points. Or I'd make everything outside the 10 and X rings -1 from printed value so I HAD to shoot a "Possible" to win, then dial down the handicaps as skills developed. (We had a lot of ladies with Stalker Problems around my alma mater and I was shooting-buddies with Campus Security, so occasionally they'd make some introductions and ask me to help teach things that they could not. It's a remarkably satisfying thing when you watch a young mother-of-two go from scared out of her mind to "nobody's gonna hurt me or my kids again," and know that you helped light her way along that journey--gives you a real feeling that at least in one life you've made a difference.)

EDIT: Additional suggestion, maybe have him play some Solitaire scenarios--less directly engaging you than you each take a run at the same problem with the same ships and the "win" is whoever comes out winning by more points scored.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-12-2022 at 21:05.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NatKerensky View Post
    My brother actually also requested I ask you guys a question too, if that's alright? As of right now we only have the starter set (more ships inbound though) and I'm playing as the British. So far I've won every game, so he was wondering if anyone had any tips to pass on for him? Specifically he's been playing the Aquilon and the Unite, against my Vanguard and Meleager.

I think I've just been getting lucky, but he's starting to get frustrated, considering he hasn't actually sunk any of my ships yet (although he got close to sinking the Meleager last time).
    For the French, try the tactic of long range shooting, rather than getting close. Wear down the enemy at long range and first damage then move away and fire again.Theory being by time they fire back their fire value will be much lower.
    Works for me at least.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

Thank you! I'll pass that on to him.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

A bit late but a warm welcome to you from the French coast ! Welcome aboard, Madame.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Sarah

Thank you for the welcome!