Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default An AAR with 1 Picture

DeRuyter (Eric) and I met for an afternoon engagement between the Chesapeake and Shannon. It was to be more playtesting of my latest rules tweaks including carronades.

Wishing to avoid the closequarters bloodbath of the historic battle, I, in Chesapeake chose initially to stay at long gun range. I got some hits in and felt like I had an advantage, so closed to let the smashers do their thing. Unfortunately, Eric in Shannon was whittling down my crew, and in close quarter fighting, we became entangled with Chesapeake in an awkward firing arc. I was able to take out Shannon's main course mast, bringing the whole thing down which was very dramatic, but I couldn't compete with the musketry and boarding, so once again, the crew of the Chesapeake was required to give up the ship.

Name:  20220907_173614.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  132.1 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

On spar-deck frigates, the small box separate from the regular damage draw represents the carronades. The regular damage draw boxes have been reduced somewhat from the Hebe strengths since there are no lighter guns factored in.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Interesting game. Two famous ships at it again. I think HMS Shannon was one of the first Airfix ships I ever built when I was a kid.

A very fun battle, had it not been for the entanglement Captain Broke would have been in a pickle!

Using the two sided damage tracks really adds to the tactics and maneuvering in the game. I would recommend everyone trying it, even if you use the SoG rules as written otherwise.