Thread: Hello there from México

Landsman
    Mexico

Log Entries
    Name
    Ivis

Default Hello there from México

Hello there guys! Just wanted to say hi to y'all! I'm new to this game, I pretend to collect the whole Spanish Fleet (: I already have four spanish ships which are: Santa Ana, Principe de Asturias, San Francisco de Asis and the Diana. The only thing I'm struggling with is finding material regarding all ship logs. I'd like to see them all to make my desition and prioritize my purchase order. Do you guys know where can I find this material? I thought that maybe there is a wiki of some kind, like in Star Wars Armada where they have all this information available

Nice to meet you all btw!

Ivis

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi again Ivis and this time I can give you a formal welcome from all of us here at the Anchorage.
    If you send me a PM with the specific ship logs you need to research I'm sure we can help you out with this.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bienvenido, amigo!

Now that I've exhausted my conversational Spanish... be wary of the official stats, they're a dog's-breakfast of overpowered stats and undersized models--like if you transplanted a pitbull's head onto a chihuahua's body. We've been trying to get things straightened out for years, and unofficially I'm about ready to propose a "total realignment" project for the Anchorage Stats Committee t design whole new logs more faithful to historical performance.

One thing you should know for certain is that the Spanish frigates are statted as 12# 34's on one side and 18# 38-40's (?) on the other--this was a deliberate design choice since the hulls were very similar and to get more options into play faster, but some of the names and armaments are not properly paired. (While I do work with them doing historical research, I don't get a say on game stats, almost all I do is examine blueprints and dimensions and recommend "a sculpt based on this blueprint could also pass for X, Y and Z but not A, B or C." Sometimes they take my advice and that of other historical consultants, sometimes they don't.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    Mexico

Log Entries
    Name
    Ivis

That would be really helpful, maybe once I have the stats I can make a Sails of Glory wiki page for everyone to consult. I'll start this weekend with the Starter Set and give everyone a shout once it's done. I hope it's not too difficult to curate that information.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm not so sure that would be cool with Ares--the Wings games are "open source" in how they turn real data into game numbers, while Sails is a lot more "proprietary."

Frankly, if Rob and Andrea tossed me the keys and said "rework Sails into a 2.0 Revised Edition," the first thing I'd do would be to kick British First Rates up to near-peer to their French and Spanish counterparts then use the SGN108 stats for Second Rates. (Trivial aside, a Trafalgar-era Second Rate had a heavier broadside despite its lower "tube count" than a Seven Years War-era FIRST Rate.)

Do note that big bold red-text line in my signature--I am not speaking for them, just giving my personal opinion. When it's a "speaking in company voice" situation I will declare so, and use a different text color to indicate thus.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    Mexico

Log Entries
    Name
    Ivis

O: I didn't know that! I figured it'd be the same as Star Wars Armada. I think Fantasy Flight don't mind the wiki but now that you mention it, it seems like a different case with Sails of Glory

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Can't hurt to start a wiki, but I'd leave the game-stats blank for a bit. I actually tried to do something similar in a printable form with my old Contents List document, which might give you a start on battle histories for each ship up to Wave 2.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Ivis and welcome to the group.
    Good luck with your Spanish fleet, but be wary, as has been pointed out the official stats are very heavily biased while the models, very nice that they are , are in fact smaller than they should be. You may not notice this but once you aware it does gall a bit.
    But that said if I can help in any way dont hesitate to ask or pm

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ivis, there is a "sort-of officially blessed" wiki for Wings WWI; when I get back to my laptop I'll reach out to Rob and Andrea at Ares and make some inquiries on your behalf about stats if you want to start up Sails Wiki--and if you use Fandom and I can ever remember my logon there, I'm willing to help with getting it set up.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Hi Ivis, welcome to the anchorage. The Wiki sounds an interesting idea, I've used the Wings of Glory one in the past and it was very helpful with alternative planes.
    Good luck

Landsman
    Mexico

Log Entries
    Name
    Ivis

That'd be great! Thank you (: and yeah I was thinking in using Fandom

Landsman
    Mexico

Log Entries
    Name
    Ivis

Haha yeah I noticed today when my minis arrived, kinda hard not to notice that there's no size difference between a third rate and a first rate... I don't know if that's 'cos of the third rates being bigger than they should or if the spanish first rates are underscaled but being honest I don't mind a lot (: they look great still. Btw I saw a post somewhere in the ares website thst they were working in another Sails of Glory focused in the hgolden age of piracy but the post was like two years ago... Is thst project dead of are they still working on it? o.o

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This post I made on the 3rd of August may be of interest Ivis.

Spanish Warships in the Age of Sail, 1700-1860 : Design, Construction, Careers and Fates

By (author) Rif Winfield , By (author) John Tredrea; Enrique Garc a-Torralba P rez

This book is the latest contribution to a unique series in a common format documenting in great detail the warships of the major naval powers during the age of sail. To date, four volumes have covered the British Navy, two have been devoted to the French Navy and one each to the Dutch and Russian Navies. This volume on the Spanish Navy, for much of its history the third largest in the world, fills the final gap in the ranks of the major maritime powers.

This book is the first comprehensive listing of these ships in English and covers the development of all the naval vessels owned or deployed by Spain during the period of the Bourbon monarchy from 1700 to 1860 (including the period of French control during the Napoleonic Wars), but it also sets the scene for that period by summarising the origins of Spanish naval development under the preceding Habsburg regime.show more

£44.75 £50.00 You save £5.25

Free delivery worldwide

Available soon, pre-order now.
    When will my order arrive?

209 days to go

Waterstones and Amazon have it on order for £50 release date at the end of February next year.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by ivishga View Post
    Haha yeah I noticed today when my minis arrived, kinda hard not to notice that there's no size difference between a third rate and a first rate... I don't know if that's 'cos of the third rates being bigger than they should or if the spanish first rates are underscaled but being honest I don't mind a lot (: they look great still. Btw I saw a post somewhere in the ares website thst they were working in another Sails of Glory focused in the hgolden age of piracy but the post was like two years ago... Is thst project dead of are they still working on it? o.o
    It's actually a bit of both--ALL of Waves 3 and 4 are closer to 1/1200 than the 1/1000 of Waves 1 and 2. USS Constitution is about 13% overlength because *I* overrelied on an early edition of BWAS that had a typo and it slipped through my usual cross-checking.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I'm not so sure that would be cool with Ares--the Wings games are "open source" in how they turn real data into game numbers, while Sails is a lot more "proprietary."

Frankly, if Rob and Andrea tossed me the keys and said "rework Sails into a 2.0 Revised Edition," the first thing I'd do would be to kick British First Rates up to near-peer to their French and Spanish counterparts then use the SGN108 stats for Second Rates. (Trivial aside, a Trafalgar-era Second Rate had a heavier broadside despite its lower "tube count" than a Seven Years War-era FIRST Rate.)

Do note that big bold red-text line in my signature--I am not speaking for them, just giving my personal opinion. When it's a "speaking in company voice" situation I will declare so, and use a different text color to indicate thus.
    For a full 2.0 rework I would look for a stats realignment to allow the integration of unrated vessels in a meaningful way.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Per Andrea, they did attempt "holistic design" from the beginning but they had thought the "floor" was going to be the 32-gun Fifth Rate. The Swans feel like an afterthought because they very much are, and are very close to the smallest sculpt Ares could make at the time.

(reminds everyone of Signature Line Disclaimer) Do not expect any kind of realignment; I would say the beefier stats of Thorn are representative of about a 20-gunner and then we have to shoehorn 22/24 and 28-gun Sixth Rates in between that and the weakest of our 32's. (I would take the Concordes as more like a 12# 36 than a 32, also.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Per Andrea, they did attempt "holistic design" from the beginning but they had thought the "floor" was going to be the 32-gun Fifth Rate. The Swans feel like an afterthought because they very much are, and are very close to the smallest sculpt Ares could make at the time.

(reminds everyone of Signature Line Disclaimer) Do not expect any kind of realignment; I would say the beefier stats of Thorn are representative of about a 20-gunner and then we have to shoehorn 22/24 and 28-gun Sixth Rates in between that and the weakest of our 32's. (I would take the Concordes as more like a 12# 36 than a 32, also.)
    I think Dobb's version of the ship card with damage divided port and starboard along with modifiers for ball weight really helps the frigate and sloop battles.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eric, I think it'd help on ALL rates. I wish I could get a custom Javascript log generator set up, where each box would have top-to-bottom:
    L Broadside Fore-Main-Aft
    L Musket
    L Crew Actions
    R Crew Actions
    R Musket
    R Broadside

With an allowance that just like using Crew Casualty markers to represent prize crews, you can use "damage" on the stronger side to represent transferring guns and crew to a hard-hit other side and get it more back in the fight or assist with firefighting/flood control/etc.

Really "advanced" would be further upping the burthen and treating each fire arc as a separate "sub-broadside" dealing its own separate damage pile, so a 74 with a 3-7-2 gun-line throws three chits from the forecastle carronades/light battery, the gun decks throw seven more and then the quarterdeck guns/carronades add two more.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-09-2022 at 15:22.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB