Some more photos of the tartana with paper (OMG!) sails. I was thinking I'd go with silk span, but trying out paper was a quick and easy way to go - plus I can always change them later. I am only partially happy with this attempt at paper ones - I was able to get a bit of a double billowing effect but I'd like to see if I can reduce the wrinkles. The sails are two layers of paper stuck together with diluted white glue and then painted with acrylic paints / acrylic ink washes. I'm also happy that the sails are very durable / tough. I think I can reduce the wrinkles by being more patient (i.e., letting the glued paper completely dry before applying paint / ink to the exterior and maybe just doing paint instead of an ink wash which has more water in it).

I did a lot of internet searching for what people have done and it seems to me that no solution is completely satisfactory. It's a question of what one is willing to accept. I suppose brass etched pounded into shape with an anvil and hammer would give shape and thinness but I'm not going there.

Name:  04 - Tartana.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  05 - Tartana.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  202.1 KB

Name:  06 - Tartana.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  147.5 KB