Thread: How an 18th Century Sailing Battleship Works

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default How an 18th Century Sailing Battleship Works

I just spotted this on YouTube. Very cool! At least I thought so. Enjoy!

P.S. Thanks Dobbs for the recent rep point. I just noticed it when logging on today.

Jim
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Very nice find, Jim. That video is very well put together! Well worth the time.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a very instructive video Jim. It brought to my attention several small details which I have read about in numerous books but which are now fully explained such as the well and how the pumps opperate, the sheer number of hands used to raise the anchors, and where all the many items used on the ship are actually stored with access to all.
    Thanks for adding this to the site. I may well decide to stick this one as a guide to aid new recruits.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is a very instructive video Jim. It brought to my attention several small details which I have read about in numerous books but which are now fully explained such as the well and how the pumps opperate, the sheer number of hands used to raise the anchors, and where all the many items used on the ship are actually stored with access to all.
    Thanks for adding this to the site. I may well decide to stick this one as a guide to aid new recruits.

Rob.
    Thank you both. I did notice Jake said "The HMS Victory" at the very beginning, which is not correct. I learned that lesson here some years ago courtesy of Mr. Manley. Thanks Rob for the rep as well.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb