Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
First as to the VASSAL issue. I think that platform caters more to boardgames, as you noted for ASL. I think miniatures gamers use Table Top Simulator as a virtual platform instead and I believe there are modules (free) for SoG. TTS can be had for $15 or so on sale and most of the modules are free. I played a virtual battle of Trafalgar during the pandemic using Osprey's Fighting Sail rules.
This is a good point.

In fact, I do own a couple of hundred pewter miniatures which I used in the Pen&Paper roleplaying context. But these were always only a few at a time. I remember one day I contemplated to paint them, but when I did the math of how long it would take to do it well, I recoiled. In general, I have more fun playing than doing handicraft and painting. This is probably why I have never played any table-top games as of yet. In turn it did not occur to me that a platform such as VASSAL might indeed exist for table-tops as well

I might check out Table Top Simulator for SoG, thanks for the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
Second, I will quibble with you about computer games. I have yet to see a subscription based wargame and I have way too many games in my Steam account. You may be thinking of the large MMO games which are free but to get ahead you can buy a premium account; World of Tanks is the big example. In the PC wargame space you do sometimes get DLC or modules that you can choose to buy after the base game.
Yes, I was thinking of those large MMOs. I dropped out of computer games many years ago when the hype had everything go to "real time" instead of round-based. I hated the hectic rush.

Lt. Bush