Thread: Skinny Bases

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

Default Skinny Bases

First importance, hope you make a Speedy recovery Rob, COVID is a kicker.

I'd like to ask advice from the Forum please. I'm considering alternate and much narrower bases for my fleets, mostly because I prefer them to be able to sail very close to eachother if needed and not kept apart by a plastic base. I'm leaning towards hobby plywood to keep the look with the existing measuring tools and parchment ship logs. The plywood could also be given a blue wash on one side... Litko has custom bases in laser cut 6mm or 3mm plywood with 3mm flight stand holes which fit the ship pegs well.

Bases would be 3" x 1" for 1st and 3rd rates, 2.5" x 1" for 4th rates, and 2" x 3/4" for 5th rates and below. The aim is for the spars to extend to or just beyond the edge of the bases.

I prefer 3mm plywood since it brings the ships closer to the table, but this means snipping down the 5.5mm long ship pegs. Since the pegs are tapered, they would still affix into the SOG plastic bases. Alternately, 6mm plywood would be the same thickness as the plastic bases and accommodate the peg without need to cut. I'm planning on upgrading the ships wth paint and rigging so I guess they don't need to be in resale condition... so I think I know my preference (3mm) but would like to tap the collective wisdom and see if I've missed anything before I commit...

A question to the gods: 3mm or 6mm, 90degree corners or 2mm rounded corners and are the widths ok?

Any other ideas or comments gratefully received.

Rough mock-ups using paint mix sticks
    Name:  IMG_1894.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  164.5 KB

2"x3/4" frigate, 2.5"x1" 50gun Portland, 3"x1" 1st Rate
    Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  158.9 KB

3mm, 4.5mm plywood and 6mm SOG base
    Name:  IMG_1903.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  158.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not sure about Canada Howard, but over here I got some cut to size perspex clear and also blue bases cut to size for me by a model suppliers for not a lot. They were 4mm in my case but they did a variety of thicknesses and it is easy to mark them with the fire angles using a scriber and then dodging ink into the groove.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

Thanks Rob. I'll look into the perspex bases over here. Would you be able to share the name of the model suppliers? I have family in the UK for distance procurement

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will look it up for you Howard.
    Failing that Captain Duff has a supplier of laser cut mdf bases for our printed ships which have perspex inserts and although these are standard size, they may be able to cut them to any size.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks so much, very kind!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My pleasure Howard. If you have any trouble shipping them, let me know.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

As Bligh has said if you wanting some standard bases with inserts it was Pendraken who supplied for me and reasonably priced also.
    Exactly same as official bases and with or without the hole in base or perspex

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How are you all doing Chris.
    After a week with the Plague flag flying my test today came up O.K.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Rob, Manda still hors d combat, her mum still +ve, I tested -ve but will test again before going to work on Tuesday.
    Rest of household ok for now

Howard, you need to take care of the problem with movement if you reduce the bases.

Smaller/shorter bases slow down your 3rd rates and frigates. ...and speed up your 1st rates.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

Hi everyone, thanks for the great info and input.
    Sven, yes I had thought there was something missing about the movement and base size until I realised the problem. Measurement of movement from the centre of the base is the only way to be independent of base size when determining movement. I'll be using the original bases for regular SOG games and alternate bases for other rulesets - Post Captain mostly, though Dobbs new game system looks very appealing.
    Thank you again everyone for your comments.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jed

Wonderful, Rob. Hope you are feeling better

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Much better now thanks Jed.

Rob.