Thread: Naval vacation destinations in Sweden?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Default Naval vacation destinations in Sweden?

Dear shipmates,

We are thinking about spending our summer vacation in Sweden this year.
    Hence my question, focused on members of the Swedish fleet (probably Jonas is the expert ):

Are there any interesting "marine/naval" vacation destinations which to have to be visited in Sweden?

Our last holiday in Sweden was 10 years ago, on that trip we visited (of course!) the Vasa Museum in Stockholm and the Naval Museum in Karlskrona.
    Are there any other museums or museum ships that fall into this category? And are there any other interesting "insider tips" (naval or not-naval type)?

Up to now we do not know where and when we will be _exactly_ in Sweden, since we will be travelling by car on campsites we will have some kind of flexibility.

@Admiral of the fleet: If this post is too much "off topic" feel free to delete it, I won't be angry or offended.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No problem at all Achim.
    Please carry on. With any luck Jonas will be able to help you out.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

You caught two of the best ones on your previous trip, but may have missed Sjöhistoriska museet https://www.sjohistoriska.se/en in Stockholm.

For our period I'm sad to say that you missed both Götheborg https://www.gotheborg.se/ that left for a new trip to China and Kanonslupen Diana that returned back to Finland recently. https://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/visito...n-sloop-diana/

Sjöfartsmuseet in Göteborg (Gothenburg) is closed and have been for a few years for extensive renovations and opens again in December. https://www.sjofartsmuseetakvariet.se/en/

There's a few others like Kalmar Sjöfartsmuseum https://www.kalmarsjofartsmuseum.se/ but that depends mostly on where in Sweden you are going.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Thank you for your reply Jonas!

Tipps like the Götheborg and Kanonslupen Diana are exactly the kind of things I am looking for, it is really bad timing for us that we will miss both of them. There is a very slight chance that we might be able to visit Götheborg on her stopover in Copenhagen, let's see.

However, I will store the hyperlinks in my naval bookmarks and I will keep an eye on both ships. Maybe there is a second chance in some years.

If we go to Stockholm this year Sjöhistoriska museet is now definitely on my list (haven't been there on our last visit), as well as Kalmar Sjöfartsmuseum if we should be in this area.

BR,
    Achim

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Even though Jonas' tips Götheborg and Diana didn't work out this vacation, I did get to see my historic ship.
    We visited the Aland Islands, an archipelago in the middle of the Baltic Sea, between Sweden and Finland.
    The main attraction of the maritime museum of the capital Mariehamn is the 4-mast barque "Pommern" from 1903.
    The state of preservation of the ship is excellent, and even if the Pommern is noticeably too modern for the time of our games, the ship in particular is definitely worth a visit, just like the Aland Islands in general.
    I have uploaded some photos in the attached album.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                   

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Great pictures, Achim! I am a fan of barques, and hope for their return to the ocean someday.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Funnily enough I have visited that same ship since I wrote that. In my defense Åland is Finland even though Swedish speaking.