Thread: Origins 2022 - Game 4 - Harbor Raid - Friday 10am

Default Origins 2022 - Game 4 - Harbor Raid - Friday 10am

Origins game 4 - Sails of Glory - Harbor Raid Friday 10am.

Nine Captains joined in to play out the Harbor Raid. The Royal Navy was tasked with a dangerous mission, to bombard the defended French port. A French force were on alert in the bay just north of the port and were ready when the RN approached. 5 RN ships had to run the gauntlet of forts and then face 4 French ships. (There should have been 6 RN ships but only 5 appeared for the game so the balance was heavily against them. In hindsight I should have probably made the sides 6 vs 3 instead of 5 vs 4 or watered down the forts more than I did.)

In the next few photos you’ll see the starting positions. Forts marked with red and the target, the port a green line that the RN had to bombard.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  251.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  252.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  265.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  231.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  254.9 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  262.3 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  171.9 KB

The wind is up and the ships are on the move!
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  246.8 KB

The vanguard of the RN covers the rest of the squadron, placing itself to screen the fort in the center of the bay. (I had the forts fire only every 3 turn)
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  263.7 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  251.4 KB

One French ship sails towards the rear of the RN while the fort on the south side of the bay gets pummeled into submission. The fort is destroyed but not before it inflicted some damage on a pair of RN vessels.
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  261.2 KB

The French cut off the line to the port and the RN is frustrated running into the French broadsides and entanglements.
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  258.6 KB

The French have an advantage at the van and punish the British ships.
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  252.2 KB

With the entanglement lingering the rest of the RN catches up in the center. The RN flanker tries to run wide and around the French.
    Name:  15.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  273.3 KB

With some heavy fighting two RN ships strike their colors! The flanker gets past his for and makes a run at the port.
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  258.3 KB

The two trailing RN vessels realize the raid has failed and turn to attack the French ship trying to block their retreat.
    Name:  17.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  240.7 KB

Three of the five RN ships make their way back to the blockading squadron to report on their lack of success. A rare day for the French Navy to celebrate a clear victory over their rivals.

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Guus

And very nice again Peter
    Seeing all this and the stuff on the Aerodrome makes me even more looking forward to the Doncaster Con
    Ah, and yesss ... ... a full broadside of REP
    cheers,
    Guus

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice battle.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Reminds me very much of one I did some years ago where ir was a case of threading the needle between forts and rocky islands to attack an objective. The result was very much the sane when the wind veered and caused meyhem amongst the attacking squadron's ships.
    That looks like a very well devised game Pete and it is a pity that you did not get a full set of takers.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    And very nice again Peter
    Seeing all this and the stuff on the Aerodrome makes me even more looking forward to the Doncaster Con
    Ah, and yesss ... ... a full broadside of REP
    cheers,
    Guus
    I will add my 18 gun salute to that Guus.x 18
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-19-2022 at 07:54.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Thanks gentlemen. This game I put a bit more into it. I hadn't yet played with using the crew actions and special damages so adding this made it a better game. Next time I'll try the different shot loads.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

Great AAR, thank you for posting. These make a great coffee break read and I really appreciate the multiple photos showing the progress. The fort scenario is pretty nice setup and model. What size mat is that and do you know what type and manufacturer it is? Many thanks.

The mat is a cloth material from Cigar Box. It is a 4' x 6'.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good grief Pete! Just how big are the cigars that you smoke?

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good grief Pete! Just how big are the cigars that you smoke?

Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Nice to see the French winning a game.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Great AAR, and a very nice fort model!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

That just seemed to slip away from the British. Nice scenario though.