Thread: AAR: The capture of the Montagne - Or: Aiming high can be an interesting option

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Default AAR: The capture of the Montagne - Or: Aiming high can be an interesting option

Scenario: Uwe aka JackAubrey1805, Photos and documentation: Achim aka Argo, translated with the help of www.DeepL.com/Translator

This time only a short, not very detailed report with no complete photo documentation. It was also meant more as a "try out scenario"

Prologue
    As already written at the end of AAR "Encounter near Brest" https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ter-near-Brest, after that Sails Of Glory game the discussion came up, why we never use the additional rule "Aiming High". The rule has been "allowed" with us for year and day, but somehow it is never used - although it would have been quite suitable for the French in the last scenario, for example.

This prompted our grandmaster of scenarios Uwe to write a short scenario that explicitly enforces "Aiming high" to find out what you can do with it.

Scenario
    On May 28, 1794, a few days before the Battle of the 13th Prairial (the "Glorious First of June"), French and British units clashed for the first time.
    The French three-decker Revolutionnaire, through unfortunate sailing maneuvers, had drifted away from the main body of the French fleet and was subsequently attacked by several British 74s. Although the Revolutionnaire was completely dismasted in this battle, she did not set down the flag, at nightfall the British abandoned her and she was later towed to Rochefort.
    In our scenario the Montagne (SGN106A), representing the Revolutionnaire, has to face HMS Bellerophon (SGNKS04), HMS Thunderer (SGN104B) and HMS America (SGN114B), which attack one after the other in staggered order. We have omitted the other British ships involved in this battle and the rearguard of the main French fleet for the sake of simplicity.
    But the British admiral has made a special stipulation in our scenario: the Montagne must be brought up as a prize, sinking her is not an option.

Special conditions for the British
    • The French ship must not be sunk, but must be brought up as a pinch in the boarding battle.
    • The British must use "Aim High" for the entire engagement.

Special conditions for the French
    • Deviating from the official rules (but fitting to the historical context) no automatic surrender in case of 3 x broken mast
    • The last space on the crew damage track can hold three damage markers and these must be inflicted explicitly by boarding.

Gaming surface
    The open sea, no reefs or anything else. The field is in "infinite" size, if the ships leave the field at one end, the distances are logged and the ships are put back at the other end.

Wind
    Medium wind from southeast to northwest

Number of Players

British ships
    • HMS Bellerophon (SGNKS04)
    • HMS Thunderer (SGN104B)
    • HMS America (SGN114B)

French ships
    • Montagne (SGN106A)

House rules
    Reduced collision damage
    In a collision, each ship draws two C damage markers. If the difference in the hull strengths of the two ships is more than two, the weaker ship draws as many C damage markers as the difference in the two hull strengths (The stronger continues to draw two).
    If one of the ships involved has placed an "Entanglement" marker as an action, it may return a damage marker of its choice to the bag.
    "Entanglement" is checked at the beginning of the following turn as usual.

Modified "First Broadside" Rule.
    As many damage markers are drawn as in a normal broadside, for each "0" damage marker another marker may be drawn. However, if this marker is a "0", no third marker may be drawn.

The battle

Game setup: Montagne in front, followed by HMS Bellerophon, HMS Thunderer and HMS America.
    After I had successfully completed my mission as the British captain of HMS Orion in our last game, the role of the French commander fell to me in this scenario.
    Escape was hopeless - the British are faster and more maneuverable and would catch up with me sooner or later. So the idea was to attack the leading British ship relatively quickly, before the other two came rushing up. Maybe I would be able to fight the British down one by one.

HMS Bellerophon is quickly in range, has the better firing arc and starts the battle at long range.
    And - thanks to “Aiming High”- scores a broken mast breach on the Montagne directly with her first broadside.

About the answer of the French one round later the British can only laugh. A full first broadside with the main firing arc, which result in almost only as zeros and light hits.

The mast break on the Frenchman has directly quite unpleasant effects, the maneuverability of the already ponderous ship is even more limited, and so it comes shortly after another broadside from the front battery of the Bellerophon, to a collision with British SoL.

The subsequent boarding attempt, however, can be beaten back devastatingly by the French, so that the first British ship has to withdraw from the battle.

Unfortunately, the Thunderer and the America are now within firing distance, and the Montagne is in danger of being heckled by both.

Quickly the consistent fire from both British ships cause further sail and crew damage to the Montagne.

The next boarding attempt is started by the HMS Thunderer: And the Montagne can hardly offer any resistance, the crew is already too decimated.

Conclusion
    In this scenario, "aiming high" worked excellently for the British forces. Mast breaks and sail damage made the Montagne slower and harder to maneuver, and the crew damage enhanced significantly the possibility of a successful second boarding attempt by the HMS Thunderer.
    So overall, depending on the scenario, the “Aiming High”-rule is an interesting option, and it is likely it will be ordered by our Captains from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for the translation of this action Achim. It has opened my eyes to the usefulness of aiming high. I have only used it intermittently for the French, or when trying to catch a specific person alive and never continuously throughout a whole game. Thus I have missed the obvious power of the ploy.
    Things will change very soon!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Thanks for the reputation, Rob.

I think the outcome of this battle might also influence British as well as French tactics in our sequel of the "battle of Toulon part 2" - scenario. At least for me as the French player it will be interesting. Two powerful enemy ship with already reduced crew numbers. To get the crew damage track filled might be an option. Could be the next practical test for this rule .

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also find that the only time I resort to Grape is when I need to reduce crew numbers. At close range double shotted Grape over ball is most effective.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I also find that the only time I resort to Grape is when I need to reduce crew numbers. At close range double shotted Grape over ball is most effective.

Rob.
    Probably UNDER-represented in the game. Ask Villeneuve how effective a 68# grape-and-ball combo can be, particularly in a stern-rake at Bad Breath Range...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.