Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for March 2022?

Now I'm working on a plastic kit. It is a Pyro 1/190 scale HM Bounty. I need help identifying a couple of peculiar bundles strapped down to either side of the deck. Does anyone have an idea what they are? I can't pait them if I can't ID them.

Name:  20220329_203048.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  103.8 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Hard to tell without context, and with the very soft detail. Judging from the slightly clearer Revell kit, this seems to be associated with the four 4pdr guns - and I would expect that they are *intended* to be rammers, worm, spunge etc for the artillery.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Great seeing this project, Rob, unfold one step at a time.
    Thanks Paul.
    It is a three stage project with the two bits of mainland added. The hardest part was the town as you may have guessed, but now that Brigade Models are up and running again, I just received the last of my houses and a few more bits to complete that part of the works, so I currently have two parts in progress simultaneously.
    More about the parts from Brigade when I get my camera out later today.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
    I would expect that they are *intended* to be rammers, worm, spunge etc for the artillery.
    That would be my best guess also Dave, although they look more like shovels than mops and worms, but as you say they are not very well defined.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Now I'm working on a plastic kit. It is a Pyro 1/190 scale HM Bounty. I need help identifying a couple of peculiar bundles strapped down to either side of the deck. Does anyone have an idea what they are? I can't pait them if I can't ID them.
    How about oars for the ship's boat? I'll bet Bounty had more oars than rammers.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

They are present explicitly in the ship's boat on the Revell kit, with these two sets of tools present on the deck, they are on that version just forward of the first gun pair hard against the bulwark on the quarterdeck, while the ship's boat is in the waist. They are also shorter than the sweeps supplied by a significant amount, but are of a suitable length to serve a 4pdr gun.

Each should include two rammers, two spunge, two worm and perhaps gunner's ladles. As they are to serve four guns. On larger ships I would expect to see these afixed to the bulwark, but both kits seem to show them stowed in this clamp on the deck.

Thank you gentlemen, you have answered my questions. I will paint them accordingly.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are all the stairs and bridge which I have added over the last two days.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images