Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Nightmoss?

Anyone have any contact or news on Jim?
    I have not heard from him since September.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Rob,
    Lots has been going on with family, the virus and life in general so I've only been lurking here. Any hobby stuff I've been doing has revolved around book nooks and some video games. Coincidentally I'd been contacted by Vol recently on the Facebook "Book Nook" page after I commented on his fantastic Harry Potter book nook and now the Lord of the Rings one he's working on. Long story short he's encouraging me to get back to ship building and sent along some items that will help in that regard. :)

Thanks for asking about me, by the way.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you Jim. With the current situation, it is worrying if friends drop off the edge of the world for any length of time.
    May you stay hale and hearty my friend.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good to hear from you Jim. With the current situation, it is worrying if friends drop off the edge of the world for any length of time.
    May you stay hale and hearty my friend.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. For a variety of reasons there are many shipmates who we no longer see; Eric, Fred, Rory, Gunner, Paul, etc. New members balances that out which keeps things moving forward, but I do miss seeing those older names regularly on the Anchorage.
    Jim
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, I think I'm the last of the "Puget Sound Squadron" still active--no big historical battles from the Enfilade crew with the con shut down for a year and then at 25%-capacity "social distancing."

New guys coming in is good--the best chance of keeping some life-support on for the game--but the loss of the senior members takes a vast array of priceless expertise and "tribal knowledge" with them.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Some of them have just moved on to other interests. Last I talked to Gunner was July 2020. He was getting rid of all of his ships and just wanted me to kit bash five for him to keep for display. After I shipped him the last one I lost track of him. I haven't heard anything from Eric for many years.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Gunner was out with the scale issues IIRC, and Eric had major medical on the homefront.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Gunner was out with the scale issues IIRC, and Eric had major medical on the homefront.
    Eric was also very active on the Wings site. I haven't been there in ages so I assume he's withdrawn from there as well?
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Eric was also very active on the Wings site. I haven't been there in ages so I assume he's withdrawn from there as well?
    I don't think he's formally resigned his membership, just incommunicado. I took the liberty of looking up the university he used to teach at, and he's no longer there anywhere that I can find. (EDIT: Messaged him over at BGG to reach out and check in.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 02-13-2022 at 22:49.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I don't think he's formally resigned his membership, just incommunicado. I took the liberty of looking up the university he used to teach at, and he's no longer there anywhere that I can find. (EDIT: Messaged him over at BGG to reach out and check in.)
    Thanks DB. I actually met Eric and Sue(?) on my way back from Gen Con several years back. Both super nice people. It would be nice to hear they’re doing ok.
    –English Proverb