Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Hammerhead 2022 Saturday 5th March

Hammerhead 2022 Saturday 5th March
    I have booked a table for Sails at Hammerhead 2022 Saturday 5th March and have received confirmation we have the table.

Venue: George Stephenson Exhibition Hall & Cedric Ford Pavilion, Newark Showground
    The Full Address of the Venue is:

The Showground, Lincoln Road, Winthorpe, Newark, Notts, NG24 2NY

So volunteers requested for the day, to out on our usual participation game, I will supply most items just need vollunteers to help on the day.

I have also booked a table for wings so we will have our usual groyping.

Hope to see you there

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I should be there if circumstances permit Chris.
    Usual arrangements for overnight?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes please Rob, looking forward to seeing you and Eileen again

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great Chris. Looking forward to it as well.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Hope you have a good time, I shall be in Spain when Hammerhead takes place so will miss it this year

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Let the games begin.
    More pics follow tomorrow.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1163.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Game one.
    The fleets close for action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1170.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-06-2022 at 09:54.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My ship Orient gets between a rock and a hard place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1171.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-06-2022 at 09:54.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

British firepower from Captain Patch prevails over the French flagship as both the Fleet Captain and Amiral de Brueys are wounded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1172.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-06-2022 at 09:53.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As in the battle of the Nile the next round of fire sets Orient on fire as both de Brueys and his Captain perish heroically on the quaterdeck. This shakes the morale of the French fleet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1175.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

British spirits are however raised by this early success as they show here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1174.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although Orient fights on for a while she is gradually consumed by the fire and another broadside from the British. Now out of the battle line it is up to the ship following to redress the balance of power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1176.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As she passes Orient it finally sinks and she takes on survivors.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With his second side opening volley Captain Patch does the double and this ship is set on fire in two places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1179.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-06-2022 at 09:52.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It too soon joins Orient on the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1178.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-06-2022 at 09:52.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile, captain Calypso battles on for the British and comes under fire from both the French Fleet and a battery on the headland.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1173.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Forced out of the battle she takes sanctuary in a bay on the other side of the estuary.
    She has however so badly damaged the remaining French ship that it withdraws from the battle.
    A resounding win for the British.

Game two will follow shortly.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1180.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Second Game.

The second game got underway with a new set of captains. Here we see the English surveying the table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1185.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-07-2022 at 13:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The battle consisted of a major smash and board game as all the ships met in the centre of the mat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1186.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-07-2022 at 13:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The ships continued to duke it out until they beat each other to a standstill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1187.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The game ended with a somewhat contested French win.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1188.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Finally we had a game with two very young gentlemen playing the British and learning as they went in a game of get dad and sink him. Dad being the French Admiral in the far centre sporting the red shirt of revolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1189.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This game lasted just two moves after first contact. Bracketed by both British ships. Two broadsides, and the French Admiral vanished beneath the waves before help could arrive. The second French ship decided the odds were now against him and beat a quick retreat. Another victory to the British.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1190.jpg  

Nice reports, Rob.

Great to see SoG action at this convention.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the after action photos and reports. Hammerhead looks like a wonderful convention. I can't believe you all do this for only one day?!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your comment and also for the Rep my dear Comte.
    Just sorry that I could not do better with the Orient, as Simon was out to get me.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hammerhead is our main show in the East Midlands now, with Partizan a close second Jim.
    We are now waiting to see how the new two day show which has been scheduled for the summer shapes up.
    Thank you also for the Rep points.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-08-2022 at 02:21.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hammerhead is our main show in the East Midlands now, with Partizan a close second Jim.
    We are now waiting to see how the new two day show which has been scheduled for the summer shapes up.
    Thank you also for the Rep points.
    Rob.
    Hoping for the best concerning Partizan.

I probably won't be attending the four day gaming event in Indianapolis this year (Gen Con) and it's not due to the virus. All the downtown hotels where I traditionally stay have been sold out with very little chance of cancellations. So this will make 3 years in a row with no gaming convention. I haven't heard what's occurring with Origins, which has had both Wings and Sails events during the show? With everyone anxious to return to 'normal' I suspect they will also be sold out and heavily attended.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is a bit the same here Jim.
    We start booking the hotel for Doncaster almost as soon as the show is over for the next year, and even then one year we had to find somewhere else to stay. not sure how Origins is fixed, but you may be lucky.
    I hope so.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Some more pics of the action from Hammerhead.
    For this show we used the Standard set of rules with a few home grown thrown in for fires and captain casualties.
    For a change we decided to give the big ships a run out, so all the action involved first rates.
    Hope you like

Here one of our erstwhile assistants , out of his usual pirate garb, assisting the players, cheers Simon

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Always a pleasure to see more convention pics. Thanks for posting.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to see these from your viewpoint Chris, especially Simon in action!

Rob.