Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's On Your Workbench for February 2022

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

At long last my shipyard is up and running, have already printed four Southampton class frigates, just the masts to do now.
    Will post a pic shortly, now to replace my Spanish fleet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good news Chris.
    You have waited a long time to get the right ships for your Spanish Fleet. I look forward to seeing them in their full glory.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Just started my Langton 17th century ships - the photo shows what will be a Portuguese squadron of two older carracks and a more modern frigate (I'm using the Langton British 4th rate for the frigate). In front is a Dutch squadron of 4 ships - a 60-gun, 30-gun and 2 pinnaces.

Name:  Langton Age of Sail.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  161.5 KB

The ships have been primed with white and then I've used acrylic inks as washes. I do this to help my eyes see the detail. Yes, I know - you're supposed to assemble the masts with sails before putting on the ships and then you're supposed to put in the masts from front to back as you do the standing rigging. But, I'm mad and I haven't yet decided if I will do rigging. Probably I will as I have everything I need for that - except maybe patience, which is why those masts ended up assembled. No patience.

Oh, and if any mast somehow is vertical I can assure it it's an accident.

And, to prove the madness, I've gone to the opposite end of the scale - here is a 28mm scale tartana ship with some crew. I can't help. I've discovered I like 28mm skirmish games. Go figure.

Name:  Blood and Plunder Tartana.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  177.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I'm glad to see someone is active in the dockyard this month Paul.
    I am now starting to fill up my town with the nondescript houses which fill in most of it. This is a slow and boring process of roof and window painting. However, some harbour side cargo arrived from Langtons so at least that will help to break up the sheer monotony of death by a thousand windows.
    Tomorrow Chris and Simon arrive for Hammerhead show on Saturday so at least that will give me a break.
    Thanks for posting your latest work.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I'm glad to see someone is active in the dockyard this month Paul.
    I am now starting to fill up my town with the nondescript houses which fill in most of it. This is a slow and boring process of roof and window painting. However, some harbour side cargo arrived from Langtons so at least that will help to break up the sheer monotony of death by a thousand windows.
    Tomorrow Chris and Simon arrive for Hammerhead show on Saturday so at least that will give me a break.
    Thanks for posting your latest work.
    Rob.
    Eventually I'll be looking for some of Langton's shoreside kit. Barry Hilton (League of Augsburg) has some interesting scenarios involving actions along the coast. But who knew I needed whales! (French privateer's, Croisic's, attack on the Dutch whaling fleet, 6 August 1693.)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Lots of 3D ACW naval models. I seem to have developed something of an addiction!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice to hear Dave.
    It seems to be catching. Captain Duff brought three very nice new models when he came up yesterday afternoon for Hammerhead.
    Rob.