I am slowly increasing my knowledge
    but it seems like I get stuck on the veer
    maneuverability.
    It just continually confuses me.
    The Meleager has an 8 veer and I played
    a 5 veer for my first card-
    what would be the options for the
    second card?

Thank you for any and all explanations!!
    Mark

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Hi Mark,
    The "veer" value of a ship indicates the maximum "difference" of the value between two maneuver cards played out one after the other.
    To describe it a it different as the example in the rulebook, page 24.
    The card you place in the planning phase on #2 may have a veer value ranging from (your current maneuver card on #1 - the veer of your ship) to (your current maneuver card on #1 + the veer of your ship).
    In your example from (5-8) -3 to (5+8) 13.
    Because the Meleager-Deck only contains cards from 0 to 10 you can use _any_ maneuver card after a 5.
    (Actually, there are no cards with negative veer values in any deck, and I think there is no deck with more than a 10).
    A maneuver card with a 5 is a "straightforward" maneuver, on such a card you can execute a "hard to starboard" as well as "hard to port" maneuver.
    But if you have a "0" maneuver card (as hard to portside as possible) on #1 you may _not_ plan a "10" maneuver as the next card. In this example, the maximum "hard to starboard" maneuver followed on the "0" you may use is an "8" (because of Meleager's veer of 8).
    I hope this is understandable, if not I am sure the native writers can explain it better .

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Thank you soooo much for the explanation- finally, the confusion is over

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, it's a bit of a headscratcher til you get used to it. Personally, if I'd been designing the stats I'd have set 0 as Straight with positive numbers to starboard and negative to port. Achim, your explanation is very good.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the Anchorage Mark.
    Don't forget to say hello to your fellow shipmates on the Welcome Aboard sub Forum.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.