Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The main problem I’ve had with terrain is that it’s too big for resin printers.

Most of the houses I’ve printed have been aimed at my 18th century GNW in 15mm.

I guess I could try to make some of them possible to print in smaller scales too. Since houses made for larger scales often have thin walls they don’t print well if too small.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    The main problem I’ve had with terrain is that it’s too big for resin printers.

Most of the houses I’ve printed have been aimed at my 18th century GNW in 15mm.

I guess I could try to make some of them possible to print in smaller scales too. Since houses made for larger scales often have thin walls they don’t print well if too small.
    At small scales a pseudo solid or solid is better than a multipart with interiors even when assembled into a single model. It is faster and stronger to print on FDM, and stronger/more successful on resin.

My experience of printing large models at small scales is that these are often successful if the floors are thick, or structurally unimportant, as walls can be expanded horizontally when slicing to ensure printability (I have done 28mm timber framed houses (Baytree and Boarhunt) at 1:1000 without major problems with a sufficient horizontal expansion, and a touch of excel to compensate for the enlargement overall from that expansion of the wall thicknesses.

It would be easier and more trivial to setup the print job with properly sized models for the smaller scales, but with good use of the slicing options almost anything can be made printable. (Weak/thin floors can be retained even below the 'safe' height, and expansion of walls required reduced by printing at an angle, to use horizontal extent to 'thicken' flats, and the vertical extent to 'thicken' thin walls. Some care needs to be taken with overhangs and getting support 'in' to an area which may be compact, some care with the form of the upper surface and visual banding. Otherwise there is a considerable flexibility in what scales 'general' models can be printed at.