Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Grace's Voyage South

Friday night Suzanne and I took Grace out the Port Royal inlet south of Beaufort, South Carolina and 20 hours later came in off the ocean at Saint Mary's inlet 120 miles to the south. For most of the night it was a second reef on the main and jib sort of affair with a confused sea state. We are now anchored behind Cumberland Island, Georgia, exploring.

https://cumberlandisland.com/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What's Georgia like at this time of year Dobbs?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Theoretically it's warmer than where we came from, but it must be based on averages. Tonight's low is supposed to be around 38 degrees F (3 degrees C). The water temperature is still around 60F (15C?), so it's not bad on a boat, but condensation is a problem.

Suzanne led us (myself and our two friends, a couple on a Tayana 37) on an epic hike to the eastern, ocean side of the island today.

Name:  20211129_115449.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  96.3 KB

It's a great beach for finding seashells, as there's no one else there.

Name:  20211129_121410.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  114.2 KB

Suzanne explores the high tide line.

During our picnic on the beach, a Ford Trimotor sputtered overhead. We were stunned! Apparently there's at least 10 still flying. It's just above the tree in the picture.

Name:  20211129_124828.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  80.0 KB

On the rest of the hike, we spotted wild horses, turkeys and armadillos.

Name:  20211129_191837.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  329.7 KB

For those of you unfamiliar with armadillos, picture a small Corgi in an army tank costume.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like paradise even at those temps Dobbs.
    Thanks for the pictures.
    As for Armadillos have a look at this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmgBsjL4WTQ

Sail safe.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the beautiful photographs, Dobbs. A safe voyage to you both.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Looks quite a bit better than here. At least you don’t have snow… but here snow is good. It keeps the temperature more stable and we don’t get those -10 to -15 degrees Centigrade nights that we had before.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

We've spent five days exploring this island and now it's time to go for supplies. Here are some final pictures of the south end.

The ruins of Dungeness, Lucy Carnegie's house.

Name:  20211204_155647.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  186.3 KB

Name:  20211204_155839.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  20211204_160135.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  185.0 KB

Here's an interesting view. The mansion burned down in 1959 and this is what we're left with. Here's a before/after shot from the same spot.

Name:  20211204_174723.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  151.3 KB

Name:  20211204_174955.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  106.6 KB

The island is about 17 miles long and in the last 7 days we've hiked around 40 miles over it with 2 days off for gaming and healing. Sorry, no SoG yet. It's been Wingspan and Terraforming Mars.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for another glimpse of your expedition Dobbs.
    Also for adding another corner of your country's history to my knowledge base.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

We arrived yesterday in northern Florida. It was pea soup fog, so no pictures. Approaching Fernandina Beach in the midst of the fog we heard another boat respond to our fog horn. It was a tour boat! Who takes a tour in pea soup fog? We figured that we were the high point of the tour since we were probably the only thing they saw. We passed about 100' (30m) apart. The rest of the day was spent reprovisioning and concluded at a delightful Spanish restaurant.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Pity you did not have a Jolly Roger to hoist Dobbs. That would have added something to their tour experience.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Speaking of pirates, here's a link to an interesting character from the SoG time period and of Fernandina Beach history:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_MacGregor

Here's a summation of his time in Florida:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repu...f_the_Floridas

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A really diverting story Dobbs.
    I was unaware of this part played by a Scotsman in the Republican quest for independence from Spain.

Nor the great scam perpetrated by MacGregor.
    Rob.

Interesting story of events I was not aware of Dobbs. Thanks for this. Hope you have a nice warm Christmas down there.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

On this New Year's Eve, Suzanne and I are anchored in Mosquito Lagoon, a handful of miles north of NASA's Vehicle Assembly Building. Due to its size and the lack of elevation hereabouts, it's quite the landmark.

We've been in Titusville for at least two weeks, socializing and working on sailboats. Last Sunday I got a rousing game of SoG going. The locals had remembered the last time we were here and were just itching to shoot at each other with little plastic ship's.

Name:  20211226_160607.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  177.8 KB

It's shorts weather. Suzanne and I have bicycled close to 100 miles (160 km) since our arrival and went to a Christmas musical called "A Trailer Park Christmas". It was quite entertaining. Here's a link to samples of the soundtrack:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8APEyUq7OJY

It's probably perfect weather for 3D printing.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-01-2022 at 08:43.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A Happy New Year to you both.
    Good to see you are keeping the tradition of gaming with the locals going.
    I hope that the rest of your voyage is as enjoyable.
    Rob.