Thread: AAR All at sea in the Indian Ocean.

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although continuing to blow South Westerly, the wind now chose this moment to freshen, and Bombay took this opportunity to set more sail and press on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:29.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers, nevertheless, took the time to launch his cutter with a prize crew for the Ceres which had now surrendered.

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

From the quarterdeck the French Frigate could now be clearly made out, still downwind, but tacking to close the range to Bombay with each proceeding minute.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers now decided it was high time to outsmart the Frenchman, and delivered his instructions to the helmsman to hold the weather gauge, and his Master Gunner to ready the portside battery with double shot.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As Bombay approached the French Frigate, her captain tacked once more in an attempt to rake Bombay.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers was not about to let that happen and already given orders to turn a few points to Port. As soon as the French captain saw this he turned to starboard in an attempt to avoid being raked himself.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers countered the French move by a turn to starboard himself so that he could deliver counter battery fire with his as yet unused portside guns. As he did so La Concorde ported her helm and brought her own broadside to bear and both ships then fired almost simultaneously.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:28.