Thread: AAR All at sea in the Indian Ocean.

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was only at this juncture, as the smoke cleared, that the British realized that the French Frigate had struck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:26.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst all this was sinking in the French Sloop, although failing to get in its intended rake did manage to do some real damage to the stern of Bombay, and cripple its steering for some minutes.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:26.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Putting his helm hard over, Captain Smithers continued his turn to Port and now placed Bombay firmly across the sloop’s stern. Just before it disintegrated, he read the name Alligator on the transom confirming what his lookout had claimed earlier in the action.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Through the shattered stern he could also see a fire taking hold of the Sloop.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Both ships continued to turn although from her erratic movements it appeared that the Sloop had no helmsman in control or had lost her steering gear.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

She was, however, still under some semblance of command and both ships exchanged another somewhat weakened broadside at each other, despite most of the remaining French crew having been withdrawn from the guns to fight the fire.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This was to prove the final action from the French, save for the striking of her colours by her one remaining midshipman to be uninjured amongst her Officers.
    It was now a matter of fighting the fire, and Bombay dispatched a boat to help in saving the prize.