Thread: Historicon 2021 Game #8 Where the Lines Meet

Default Historicon 2021 Game #8 Where the Lines Meet

Historicon game 8

Where the Lines Meet

Saturday night we had 6 captains manning the helm. Most were first timers or very new as you will see.
    The mission for the French was to get past the British and make a break for the open sea. They had to get off the far corner of the table.

The French at the bottom left start their break for the ocean. The Royal Navy squadron upper left are not in the mood to let the French slip off so easily.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  191.5 KB

One French Captain heads south of the island while the other two stay north.
    One British ship heads to block the southern French while another heads towards the two French. This captain either miscalculated or was trying to scrape some barnacles off of his hull. He came to a slow stop when hitting the sand bar along the beach.
    The third captain was having rudder troubles and was turning in circles upwind of everyone.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  214.5 KB

One French captain was curious about what the British ship was doing so close to the island and went to look for himself.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  200.9 KB

When the French was momentarily beached the British ship freed itself and found it easy to hit the motionless target.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  217.9 KB

The beached Frenchman freed his ship and got under way. This surprised the British captain and he was pinched between two French SOLs.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  208.1 KB

After this it really went down hill for the Royal Navy. The French easily slipped past the fumbling British and all three French SOLs made their escape.

As the game ended very quickly, I offered to run it again now that everyone had a feel for the game. One player bowed out and the rest were game. I took over for the exiting captain and we reset a bit closer. This time we were just out for the battle.

The French were again on the lower left, British upper right. I sailed the last ship in the line.
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  199.9 KB

The center French captain must have come up with a cunning plan as he pulled out of the French line.
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  204.3 KB

The lead British SOL was now getting hit on both sides but the French had lost formation.
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  227.1 KB

Many broadsides were traded and the lone French captain was regretting his decision to leave the line.
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  214.5 KB

As I traded dealt out broadsides I only took one as one of the French was reloading. Once past the French the tacking began to turn and re-engage.
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  196.4 KB

The French had a laugh as the lead RN SOL ran aground. As they watched the British misfortune they forgot to look where they were going.
    Name:  11.jpg
Size:  212.5 KB

The French all collided with each other doing more damage to themselves than the British had done on the first passing of broadsides.
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  211.1 KB

The British were now in position to attack the tangled mess of French ships.
    Name:  13.jpg
Size:  199.2 KB

With two of the French ships down to their last hull box they scuttled and boarded the strongest ship, which was itself almost out of crewmen.
    The one lone French SOL disengaged leaving the Royal Navy the victory.
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  211.3 KB

I can’t say how many times I warned everyone on being very careful with their maneuver choices. At least the British captain that ran aground in the first game didn’t do so in the second.

We all had a good laugh at how the French created their own island while one of the British was inspecting the real island.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I can vouch for the clumsy running aground and collision feeling having done it many times myself. A good game though and hopefully some new converts too.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well that experience looks familiar. I've spent most of my Sails time as a beached whale.
    Great-looking mat, and looks like a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I can vouch for the clumsy running aground and collision feeling having done it many times myself. A good game though and hopefully some new converts too.
    Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Well that experience looks familiar. I've spent most of my Sails time as a beached whale.
    Great-looking mat, and looks like a fun game.
    Running aground, part of the learning curve!

The mat is Mike's so we'll definitely be seeing it again.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Two very interesting games Pete. The islands certainly make for interest and no doubt also some mirth.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I missed your Sails game at Hcon. I think I was running one of my games at the time. Is that the same photo type mat that you use for the Wings games? Looks great.

Eric

The mat used for the Sails game was not mine. It belongs to my friend Mike.(1st photo, top right, black mask, grey shirt) It is a Cigar Box mat seen 'HERE'

Too bad ypu missed the game. I had planned on 10 ships but ended up with only 6 on the table.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I expect the Court Martial will sort out who was to blame for the tangle but it did look like fun.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well at least the American Navy is not to blame for this John!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.