Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
Looks like the second volume will be more up my street then David.
Thanks for your clarification.
Rob.
The first volume was the analysis of the cause of the ineffectiveness of the English Naval Tactics, despite clear evidence of the individual success in single ship actions. As well as a suggestion of a new scheme of tactics which might provide better results.

The later volumes provide more analysed actions, tactics for the approach from different points of sail etc, I'd suggest that they work together as a whole, and the 'core' might even be the first text. Without checking my printout (I'd have to dig for it) I think much of the discussion of the fleet in action comes in the first volume, as well as a commentary by Lord Rodney. Though there are more comments alongside the later analyses as well.

Especially from the point of view of a documented 'evolution and development of military theory' the first volume is an important publication... and it has a framework for the progress of the naval battle which calls into question some of the more modern assumptions, which is not repeated in full.