Thread: Bases

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Bases

Hi All, I love those Oak & Iron ship bases. I have just about every Sails of Glory ship they every released and no way do they look as good as the O&I. Ugly chunky blue bits of plastic vs nice see through ones. Does anyone know if anyone has done any work on clear bases for SoG?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dave posted this a couple of years or so ago Gary.

This company produce clear perspex bases but I am afraid that they are in the U.K. http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epage...ear_TerraBases

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thank you Rob. I will check them out.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Have a look at this video. Most of it is on rigging but the bases look great (IMO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87JZYZq5ZZs

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting Scott.
    The main problem I have with it is the thin base he ends up with. Attempting to pick that up from the playing surface will encourage players to use the model as a handle rather than the base and from sad experience we all know how that ends. I like the surface idea, but would place it into the official base just replacing the ordinary perspex. That also enables you to still flip the ship base card to use its alter ego on the reverse side.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At the end of the video I was lead onto this which I found quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87SedazODkA

Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

If you are talking about those giant ships and cards then how does he do that? It seems to me that it could not be a projection from the front because it does not project onto him as he makes his presentation. Fascinating stuff.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Interesting Scott.
    The main problem I have with it is the thin base he ends up with. Attempting to pick that up from the playing surface will encourage players to use the model as a handle rather than the base and from sad experience we all know how that ends. I like the surface idea, but would place it into the official base just replacing the ordinary perspex. That also enables you to still flip the ship base card to use its alter ego on the reverse side.

Rob.
    Yes, I had had the same thoughts on flipping the base card but didn't pick up, pun intended, on being tempted to pick up the model by the hull or sails etc

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's what I do to my bases. Entry #16;describes how I do it.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....hlight=Sanding

I find that there is enough left that people still grab the base and not the model.