Thread: French Warships in the Age of Sail

Default French Warships in the Age of Sail

Name:  20211015_173728.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  157.8 KB

I received both books as presents and I have to say, while being great references, I was a bit disappointed. The cover title includes "Design, Construction, Careers and Fates", so I was hoping for just that. But the book contains just the list of all vessels buit by France, with almost no plans or illustrations useful to me. There is very little to no information about the careers of any of the ships other than their construction date and breakup or destruction date. These books are quite expensive. I will not be perchasing the rest of the series as I can get ship lists from the web.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Their real value is in Winfield's design commentary, drawing engineering relationships. It does not help that the French were rather less diligent in archival recordkeeping...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks for that insight, I've got both books "bookmarked" and been holding off because of the cost. I was particularly interested in the ships careers, but if there's not much of that I'll stick with Wikipedia information, even though it's not always correct.
    Cheers

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Don't pay full price, hold out for a sale.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.