Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default 21st of October.

Gentlemen let us raise our glasses in memory of Lord Nelson's greatest victory.

I give you Trafalgar Day.

Bligh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nelson.jpg   images.jpg  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

To the immortal memory of Admiral Lord Nelson and all those who fell with him.

Hear hear!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

To Lord Nelson and Trafalgar!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'll raise a glass today, too...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My own tribute to the 21st, was to set up a re-enactment, not of the battle itself, but of the aftermath fought on the 4th of November between a British Squadron under the command of Captain Sir Richard Strachan and the ships under the command of Rear Admiral Dumanoir le Pelley who had escaped from the Battle of Trafalgar with most of the French part of the Van under his command during the battle...

The action started with the sighting of the French by the British Frigate Phoenix commanded by Captain Thomas Baker. Dumanoir gave chase, and Baker drew them onto the British Squadron. Strachan then began a persuit of the French which stretched out over the next night.
    On the morning of the third of November Strachan was joined by the extra frigate Santa Margarita, and the chase continued. It went on all that day and the next night with the british gradually adding extra ships to the squadron as they caught up. Two of the frigates,closed on the rear of the French squadron at about 5.45 on the morning of the 4th of November and the battle commenced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ortagal battle map part one.jpg  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the opening part of the chase as shown on the map.
    The rest of the battle will appear in due course in the AAR section of the Anchorage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0767.jpg