Thread: Origins 2021

Default Origins 2021

Here is the game of SOG I ran at Origins on Friday, "Where the Lines Meet".

Here we have a French attempt to break the blockade when a squall blew the Royal Navy off station. The RN recovered quicker than the French had hoped and caught them along the coast just before they could make their break. Each side had 4 SOLs. Weather gauge in favor of guess who? (RN of course) The French start off just south of an island off the French coast of Brittany.

I have a nice water mat with islands that I used in place of the SOG mats.

Here are the starting positions. The French must get 3 ships off into the open ocean off the far edge to claim victory. Pics from each side's view.

The French view.
    Name:  29.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  186.1 KB

The Royal Navy view.
    Name:  30.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  216.4 KB

The French started off with some interesting tacking causing the RN to make fun of French seamanship.
    Name:  31.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  196.6 KB

The lead French ship keeps on its course as the RN break their formation. Seems they are caught a bit flat footed.
    Name:  35.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  216.1 KB

A French and RN ship come very close to becoming entangled.
    Name:  36.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  227.1 KB

The lead French ship has the trailing RN ships confused and they change course and collide. Not to be outdone the third French SOL runs aground on the large island....twice! The excuse of looking for stranded ladies seemed a bit thin.
    Name:  37.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  228.2 KB

A few broadsides are fired but the French get past a RN SOL.
    Name:  38.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  202.5 KB

The lead French SOL crossed the T and pummels a RN ship.
    The fourth French SOL heads to the left leaving two RN ships behind. Now it is the French needling the RN about their seamanship skills as a RN SOL runs aground on the island.
    Name:  39.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  191.8 KB

The lead French SOL entangles with a RN SOL. With both crews severely depleted neither elect to board.
    The next shot has the RN SOL striking it's colors! Vive l' Emperor!
    Name:  40.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  237.3 KB

The RN SOL runs aground for a second time. Must be looking for those rumored poor stranded French ladies.
    Luckily for the RN the lead French SOL also strikes it's colors after a well placed broadside. God Save the King!
    A little too late though as now the RN is out of position and three French make it to the open ocean.
    Name:  41.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  212.2 KB

Before the game started I had clearly made the point that the ships will move faster than you think and we still had 4 brushes with the island. To the credit of the French captain he kept his head and did get out to the open sea.

I was schooled on a rule I had missed. My thanks go out to the captain that pointed out this to me as this was the first official Sails game I have run at a convention. Back to the rulebook to find out any other things I may have messed up.

It was a fun game and I look forward to running another in a month. At Historicon in November I will run the same scenario. It will be interesting to see how the outcomes compare.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Glorious! Nice playing mat! Which one is you in the pictures? Always nice to put a name with a mask.

Sorry, running the game and taking the photos I didn't think of getting into one. Next show in a month I'll make sure to get into a photo or two. Come to Historicon and join in and see my mask in person! I'm running Sails on Saturday night.
    Last edited by TwoSheets; 10-06-2021 at 16:22.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your post Peter.
    A most enjoyable scenario.
    You are invited to attend the Court Martial of the British Commodore.
    Maybe that shoul read court marital after rescuing all those French ladies!

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Rob I think the British Commodore should be commended for his rescue of the French ladies.

Peter you have a very nice mat there, I like it a lot, interesting scenario, thanks for posting it.
    Would your other alter ego be Teaticket by any chance? He writes interesting scenarios as well.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi John.
    You are correct in your surmise that Two sheets is also Teaticket. He is a great chap and I hope you get to meet him sometime in person.
    As for the Commodore, I think he may well get off without being shot on his own quarterdeck.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

The outcome of the rescue of the French ladies is still a mystery. More investigation is needed.

The Commodore of this flotilla was on his first independent command so maybe some leeway could be given? Then again, when entangled with a French SOL an opportunity was lost as no boarding was ordered.

Dobbs and John, the mat is an image I took from Zoom Earth. I had it printed on vinyl. I'll load it to the files. It's a very useful mat that I have used for many Wings games too.

Yes, my cover is blown, I am better known as teaticket on that other site. I have been too quite here so now that I have started to run games at conventions I will have to be more active.

Hmmmm, I tried to upload the image into the files but failed. No error message was given. Do I have to be a subscribing member of the Anchorage?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can't tell you the answer to that Peter as I have never managed to do it either. i did ask Keith once but he never got back to me. Maybe you could bring som pressure to bear. I could really do with knowing how to work the files section. There is no subscription to the Anchorage.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just tried another file load as a test, and it has worked Pete.
    I will try again, and make notes to try and talk you through it when I get time.
    Rob.

The mat image file is 1.7 MB. I wouldn't think it too large but maybe?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Might be an idea to try a reduction and see if that works.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice battle and nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Might be an idea to try a reduction and see if that works.

Rob.
    I reduced it to just under a MB and still failed. A message comes up, 'The following errors occurred when this file was submitted:' but there is nothing else to let me know what the problem is.

If anyone would like the higher res image, PM me.