Here is the game of SOG I ran at Origins on Friday, "Where the Lines Meet".

Here we have a French attempt to break the blockade when a squall blew the Royal Navy off station. The RN recovered quicker than the French had hoped and caught them along the coast just before they could make their break. Each side had 4 SOLs. Weather gauge in favor of guess who? (RN of course) The French start off just south of an island off the French coast of Brittany.

I have a nice water mat with islands that I used in place of the SOG mats.

Here are the starting positions. The French must get 3 ships off into the open ocean off the far edge to claim victory. Pics from each side's view.

The French view.
Name:  29.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  186.1 KB

The Royal Navy view.
Name:  30.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  216.4 KB

The French started off with some interesting tacking causing the RN to make fun of French seamanship.
Name:  31.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  196.6 KB

The lead French ship keeps on its course as the RN break their formation. Seems they are caught a bit flat footed.
Name:  35.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  216.1 KB

A French and RN ship come very close to becoming entangled.
Name:  36.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  227.1 KB

The lead French ship has the trailing RN ships confused and they change course and collide. Not to be outdone the third French SOL runs aground on the large island....twice! The excuse of looking for stranded ladies seemed a bit thin.
Name:  37.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  228.2 KB

A few broadsides are fired but the French get past a RN SOL.
Name:  38.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  202.5 KB

The lead French SOL crossed the T and pummels a RN ship.
The fourth French SOL heads to the left leaving two RN ships behind. Now it is the French needling the RN about their seamanship skills as a RN SOL runs aground on the island.
Name:  39.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  191.8 KB

The lead French SOL entangles with a RN SOL. With both crews severely depleted neither elect to board.
The next shot has the RN SOL striking it's colors! Vive l' Emperor!
Name:  40.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  237.3 KB

The RN SOL runs aground for a second time. Must be looking for those rumored poor stranded French ladies.
Luckily for the RN the lead French SOL also strikes it's colors after a well placed broadside. God Save the King!
A little too late though as now the RN is out of position and three French make it to the open ocean.
Name:  41.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  212.2 KB

Before the game started I had clearly made the point that the ships will move faster than you think and we still had 4 brushes with the island. To the credit of the French captain he kept his head and did get out to the open sea.

I was schooled on a rule I had missed. My thanks go out to the captain that pointed out this to me as this was the first official Sails game I have run at a convention. Back to the rulebook to find out any other things I may have messed up.

It was a fun game and I look forward to running another in a month. At Historicon in November I will run the same scenario. It will be interesting to see how the outcomes compare.