Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for October?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Default What’s on your workbench for October?

I still have some Spanish to paint. Working on a third rate.

Name:  52B31FDE-B6F6-4E48-9B22-67D413F8FBD1.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  132.8 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Stupid autocorrect made the header correct which makes sure no links to new posts will work.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At the moment I'm still printing cards and labels for my newly aquired ships as I change them into different ones.
    Hope to be able to get back to Captain next week.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I now have my cards for the French ship Ceres completed.

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am now back on the two additions to my HEIC ships thanks to Neils ship sale at Doncaster.
    The first one is the Brig Sloop Aurora.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-05-2021 at 09:01.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am now starting work on the Ganges. That needs flagging and card changes only.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

What good work you do Rob. You and the other craftsmen make us realise that everything is possible with this game.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Gary.
    I hope it encourages others to explore the possibilities of what the game can produce. When we all started with just the handful of ships produced a decade ago, we never imagined that it would become the vehicle for exploring modelling, history, science, and providing us with a group of friends worldwide, plus the chance to meet at gaming events in Europe, America and Australasia.
    It is a great game for which we must also thank Andrea for the concept, and all those others who spent time and effort playtesting the game.
    I hope it continues to bring you pleasure for as long as it has for me.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you also for the Rep Gary, which I have just noted when I came to do my internal mail.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks Gary.
    I hope it encourages others to explore the possibilities of what the game can produce. When we all started with just the handful of ships produced a decade ago, we never imagined that it would become the vehicle for exploring modelling, history, science, and providing us with a group of friends worldwide, plus the chance to meet at gaming events in Europe, America and Australasia.
    It is a great game for which we must also thank Andrea for the concept, and all those others who spent time and effort playtesting the game.
    I hope it continues to bring you pleasure for as long as it has for me.

Rob.
    I think that 3D printing have changed the landscape of miniature games. I'm a member of a Black Sails Facebook group and not only are the 3D printed ships more historically correct, they are more detailed and better looking too.

To be honest, if Sails of Glory released another wave of ships I would probably still buy them so I had one or two of every ship they released, but I might just print the actual ships I would use. The accuracy and details of 3D printed ships are hard to meet by either metal or plastic casts.

Sails still have the bonus of having maneuver cards and the like that we still need and want for our games and many prefer the prepainted miniatures ready-to-play.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am now starting the task of painting my printed ships and gradually cutting off the masts on my equivalent Sails ships to fit onto the new hulls. The best of both worlds re ships and cards.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today things went a bit awry, and so I did the other cards for HEIC Ganges.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I completed a set of cards that should have been finished after the Basque Roads game two years ago.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Wow, amazing work you do on the cards Rob!
    To continue our previous conversation on the Sept. thread, here is a pic of the cloth I'm using and the paint I mixed with the watered down PVA.

Name:  20211006_104005.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  177.5 KB
    Name:  20211006_104158.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  146.4 KB

This is the Duguay Trouin with the primary sails mounted and the first half of the standing rigging applied

Name:  20211006_103943.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  162.9 KB

And the progress on the stay sails

Name:  20211006_104113.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  189.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is most impressive Vol, and I love the fact that you can get that slight billowing effect instead of the sails looking taught right across the whole sail. It makes it appear as if there is a real gust of wiond blowing.
    Thanks also for the Rep. I am glad you like my cards. I'm gradually getting better but still not a patch on Old Guy's work.

Rob.

OMG, those sails looks amazing and indeed, the effect of the wind is appreciated in the wave

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is really fantastic, Vol! It really looks great!

Amazing sails. I can feel the fluttering wind rolling by!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I haven’t painted much lately but I’ve been busy making a new bowsprit for my Spanish first rates.

Name:  2422D1CC-6074-4869-B5AA-1AF97F27F378.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  748432D1-8452-4EB1-A03D-9F33122431C6.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  139.2 KB

It should have been quite easy from the old one but I had to remake it from scratch. This is a test print. I may make it a little bit thicker.

That look pretty good just as is Jonas.

I finished mounting all of the sails. Now I have to make and mount the ratlines then finish the standing rigging.

Name:  20211006_153004.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  169.1 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That looks just incredible!

You really take it to the next level with that one.

Jonas, your new bowsprit looks nice, is strong enough? or it bend easily?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's in "tough" resin and that gives it better strength.

So far the biggest problem has been the sails coming off the bowsprit. I hesitate to lower the sails more into the bowsprit to get bigger contact as it looks a bit off and when I rig the ships the stay will give it strength.

The one thing I did change from the test print is the thickness. Mostly because the end that goes into the ship was too thin and it was hard to get it so sit there.

I haven't glued in any bowsprit on my Spanish ships. I'll do that when I rig them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Coming along well Vol. May I now ask you about the stripes down the sails?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    So far the biggest problem has been the sails coming off the bowsprit. I hesitate to lower the sails more into the bowsprit to get bigger contact as it looks a bit off and when I rig the ships the stay will give it strength.
    That was one of the main problems I have found with my Langton sails Jonas. How much area of contact do you compromise to get a good adhesion with the bowsprit. That is the main reason that I reverted to using Ares masts and sails, as I don't rig I lose that extra support and when you have kids knocking them about at shows the attrition rate is high.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, if you need bowsprits and don’t mind buying the sails from Simon I could add a little extra support to strengthen the joints. That is if you can get them printed, that is…

Dobbs, thank you for the reputation.

I have always cut the sails free from the jib booms because the stays never line up properly to match.

Jonas, wouldn't PLA plastic jib booms be sturdier and more resilient than resin, especially for rigging?

Rob, I use a pencil to draw in the sew lines on the sail. They showed through the watered down PVA pigment pretty well I think. The last 3 stay sails I made I forgot to do this so I lightly drew the lines after they dried. That turned out ok as well.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol. I will give that a try on my next dismemberment.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the offer Jonas.
    I will ask Chris if he can print them off as soon as he gets his system up and running.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Vol the Duguay Trouin is looking pretty amazing. I'm surprised how good the sails look in this scale. I like the idea of drawing the lines down them as well, it adds yet another level of realism.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Jonas, wouldn't PLA plastic jib booms be sturdier and more resilient than resin, especially for rigging?
    That depends on what resin is used. Generally I agree, but there are very expensive resins that can take very high loads. There’s resin for dentists to use for fake teeth. I have two resins where one is cheap and brittle and one is more expensive and tough. There’s a difference so I hope it will be enough.

Thank you John. This is the first time I have tried cloth sails on a small ship. It takes quite a bit more time than the paper sails. I think I will go a bit lighter on the next try, maybe closer to a creme colour.

Jonas, I hadn't realized there was that much difference. I wonder why Henry doesn't use the tougher resin?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It costs about 50% extra.

The dentist resin is more than ten times as expensive.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Jonas, can't you have the clew attached to the next sail aft, like Ares does? That seems like it would improve survivability.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I could and that would probably improve that. It's not a problem for me as I rig my ships but if I made some for non-rigged ships that would be an option. I prefer the more realistic option where the sails draw wind as best they can considering the angles of the rest of the sails.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Julián here are a selection of Santisima cards. Take your pick. They show handling differenced depending on your outlook of the reports of her sailing qualities.

Rob.

Thank you very much Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad to be of service to the man who started me on Harbour and Fortification construction Julián.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Glad to be of service to the man who started me on Harbour and Fortification construction Julián.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I’d say Veer of 4 would be quite impressive and I’m hesitant to give that to her even as built from the start.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's why I gave the whole gamut of options Jonas.
    Personally I use veer 3 for her as built and veer two as a floating gun platform at Trafalgar.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I agree for the veer of 3, from my reading she was a bit of a pig sailing, same as HMS Prince the 2nd rate.