Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What’s on your workbench for October?

The sails and masts are ready for the next French 74

Name:  20211018_210527.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  176.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is already looking great Vol. You really have mastered those sails.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Very good work Vol. The appearance of those sails is very good. The masts also look very crafted.

Thank Julian
    Hardly mastery Rob, haha! It is only the second set. I did make new stencils for the main course and stay sails for 1st and 3rd rates going forward. Eventually I'll need stencils for studding sails as well.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If it's only your second set that is all the more impressive Vol.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

San Justo has taken its place in the fleet.

Name:  9554F51F-7188-400D-9EF6-91F82D34883D.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  168.5 KB

The slowly growing Spanish fleet.

Name:  4EB58ABE-1EF5-4AE9-B9A3-088F82FAB2F3.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  158.2 KB

I made a new bowsprit for my first rates…
    Name:  9AEA7A68-80DF-44F2-8A90-5551A0FCC9F4.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  192.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A veritable Armada Jonas. My word, they do look good.
    Rob.

That is a lot of ships Jonas! I envy your ability to work on so many at one time. I can only do one at a time.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am the same as you Vol. I very seldom indulge in batch production even though it has its advantages.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And I envy Chris’ ability to get ships finished quickly and with rigging and ratlines.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And it’s only after I got my 3Dprinter I started batch work.

Somehow printing five ships at a time made me prime them in batch and then paint the deck in batch and then the hull. By that time I didn’t even have bases and sails. Then I found Simon’s good sails and Chris made the bases.

That reminds me that I need to buy PVA glue for the bases and probably a blue spray paint to make it easier.

I bought 30 bases of Chris and I have 23 Spanish ships in the works. Add to that Bahama and Rayo it would make it at least 25 ships of the line. I need more than 5 Spanish frigates just for the big battles. It’s something like 4 36 gun and 2 40 gun frigates plus smaller crafts at St Vincent. Hmm… If I’m to put all of the Spanish on similar bases (that would look good) I think I need more of them…

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The best of luck to you sir.
    All I managed today was to knock out some HEIC cards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice cards Rob. I know you have said before but I can't recall. What program are you using again to produce them?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just good old photoshop Vol. Got a game taking up my time today but hope to find enough time to do my last HEIC cards for the Camden. These two ships are curtesy of Neil. I snagged them at Doncaster when he was selling up his ships.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the Camden cards I promised you.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Another Sen Ildefonso…

Name:  5661EDBE-8E62-41AD-887F-A6F41A5995B2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  165.7 KB

There’s a few ships I “need” to do, the two 64s, but otherwise I’m just adding ships until Simon releases Bahama and Rayo rebuild.

Name:  BF39CC5B-0A2A-4F4D-A75D-77829D86C51E.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  138.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Another Sen Ildefonso…

Name:  5661EDBE-8E62-41AD-887F-A6F41A5995B2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  165.7 KB

There’s a few ships I “need” to do, the two 64s, but otherwise I’m just adding ships until Simon releases Bahama and Rayo rebuild.

Name:  BF39CC5B-0A2A-4F4D-A75D-77829D86C51E.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  138.9 KB
    You do such crisp lines Jonas!
    And wow, that's quite a fleet in such a relatively short time! That would take me years at the snails pace I work.

My progress so far on the 2nd Temeraire class French 74. This one is Fougueux.

Name:  20211025_194437.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  165.0 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    You do such crisp lines Jonas!
    Thank you. My secret is to put the yellow in as in the top picture. Then I tidy up the edges with black. Then I correct those mistakes with yellow and usually continue this with less and less bad lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    And wow, that's quite a fleet in such a relatively short time! That would take me years at the snails pace I work.
    But your last ships with the cloth sails are beautiful works of art. I’m not surprised that those take longer.

I’m a bit surprised at the size of the fleet with almost finished ships. I’ve only had my printer for a little over six months, so these have been done in less than that. I will now make it a goal to have them finished in a year from when I bought the printer.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well both of you are doing spectacular work gentlemen.
    Thank you for continuing to display your talent here.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-26-2021 at 01:00.

Thank you. My secret is to put the yellow in as in the top picture. Then I tidy up the edges with black. Then I correct those mistakes with yellow and usually continue this with less and less bad lines.
    That is exactly the way I do it but yours looks so much better to me!

I have yet to paint any of the ships I have printed. I am still working through all of the ships Simon and Pete sent me before I got my printer!
    Last edited by Volunteer; 10-26-2021 at 10:22. Reason: Added another thought

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, my ships are on hold until I find a source for one-piece bare yards. Granted, I'm hamstrung by not having a 3d printer or anywhere to set one up...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Just a few more sails left to mount, then the running rigging

Name:  20211027_194358.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  164.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Well, my ships are on hold until I find a source for one-piece bare yards. Granted, I'm hamstrung by not having a 3d printer or anywhere to set one up...
    Doesn't really take up all that much room DB, just 17"×20" for the one I have.

Name:  20211027_195018.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  139.5 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Resin printers are even smaller, but some resins may smell. When I use water washable I don't note any smell.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are certainly very neat bits of kit Vol. Is that light the UV for curing the model?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is not a resin printer, Rob. It’s a PLA printer. …or plastic filament printer or what ever it’s correct name is.
    Last edited by TexaS; 10-29-2021 at 00:38.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Oh! Right Jonas. Thanks for the correction. I must research these machines more fully.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I only know about resin printers so this one is outside my knowledge too. I only know what Vol have told us and that with a special nozzle his prints are quite detailed.

Yes Rob I have a PLA printer that uses plastic filiment. The light is just so I can see the plate better. It also serves as one of my spotlights for taking pictures of finished minis.
    Right Jonas, I use a smaller nozzle to print the 1/1200 & 1/1000 scales. I still use the stock nozzle for 1/700.

Name:  20211028_103801.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  104.0 KB
    Prins Maurits 74 on the left
    St Pavel 92 on the right
    Last edited by Volunteer; 10-28-2021 at 11:40.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Look, I even called the plastic filament printer the wrong name.

SLA, PLA or FDM…

Stereolithography gives the file name .stl
    PLA is Polylactic acid
    FDM is short for Fused Deposition Modeling
    Additive Manufacturing is a broader scope.
    SLA is the name for the old classic 3D printing where lasers hardened a liquid resin.
    PLA is what plastic filament printer is called.
    And when using plastic filament in an FDM you can use ABS, PLA, PETG, Nylon, Polycarbonate…
    Last edited by TexaS; 10-29-2021 at 01:57.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jonas. Now I'm even more at sea than before. I will try and get a grip on all this new technology. Sometimes I am starting to feel old!

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That post was as much to make sense of the terms as to explain anything.

Yes, I had to google to get it right…

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sorting out a few family issues at moment so not had an opportunity to even set my resin printer up as yet, hoping to have a first run next weekend to start on my plethora of ships and masts, plus my youngest has some D and D items he wants.
    FDM or the filament types are the ones we used to get from Shapeways, at least from what I remember anyway

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hope things are OK at your end Chris?

Rob.

Look, I even called the plastic filament printer the wrong name.

SLA, PLA or FDM…

Stereolithography gives the file name .stl
    PLA is Polylactic acid
    FDM is short for Fused Deposition Modeling
    Additive Manufacturing is a broader scope.
    SLA is the name for the old classic 3D printing where lasers hardened a liquid resin.
    PLA is what plastic filament printer is called.
    And when using plastic filament in an FDM you can use ABS, PLA, PETG, Nylon, Polycarbonate…
    Yes, what Jonas said!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My head hurts!

Rob.