Thread: Running Aground

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Running Aground

I am going to play a variation on the Fisherman's Shoals scenario that Unionjack made in 2015 and I got to thinking about the running aground business. I am thinking that any captain worth his salt would try to get off if he were aground by kedging or lightening his ship if it was not too damaged. Have any expanded rules been made for this escape situation?
    Last edited by Baxter; 09-24-2021 at 20:31.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Good question, but nothing that I know of. Might be interesting to explore... I'd like to see some different "grades" of shoal; if memory serves 64's and frigates could get much closer inshore than 74's and above, and the French actually had a group of four "big gun shallow-draft hull" 32-pounder 56's built specifically for waters around Dunkirk. (Ironically, the Bordelais class found themselves roaming all the way to the Indian Ocean...) The sloop-of-war proliferated after about 1800 because they were better still at inshore performance in North American waters.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We have a simple set of rules for running aground for our games at Chez Bligh Gary. If it is onto rocks you are Bu*****d, but shoals are treated like this. One turn to launch a boat, one turn to move out, one turn to drop anchor, then as many turns to winch off as the ships burden, plus one turn to recover the boats and get under way. if you are a real purist you can also add one extra turn for how fast the ship was sailing at the time and how strong the wind was, but we find that the number of turns we use is sufficient punishment enough for the transgressions of the captain.
    I also have some chance cards which I will post here for you later.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

When I played the Battle of the Nile I let another ship that came to a halt close to a ship that ran aground pass a cable (1 turn) and then each following turn draw two 50/50 chits. If both were hits the ship was dragged off and could plot movement from the next turn. Ship of the line had to keep a (full? half? can’t remember but it was quite obvious when it was set up) ruler from the shore and the frigates half that. I assumed it was a sandy bottom.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a card for that too Jonas.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-25-2021 at 05:15.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the others in the set.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

this adds an extra two turns to rig a mast.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any other suggestions will be gladly accepted.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Some time ago I tried to make some crew action counters for this situation. You may find pictures of them in my Avatars folder on My Profile page.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 09-25-2021 at 18:44.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are very good Dave.
    I use them all the time and have added this one for springing your ship to go with the capstan and anchor one.
    Rob.