Thread: Question for the Rules Overlords

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I think we had several Playtest Candidates but no firm "consensus answer." I dunno where that Veer 4 came from, IIRC three-deckers are usually Veer 3 and ST had a maneuverability problem of legendary proportions that meant everyone in the Armada called her "El Ponderoso."

I'd have to go back to the Committee archives... Jim, weren't you on it too?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I think we had several Playtest Candidates but no firm "consensus answer." I dunno where that Veer 4 came from, IIRC three-deckers are usually Veer 3 and ST had a maneuverability problem of legendary proportions that meant everyone in the Armada called her "El Ponderoso."

I'd have to go back to the Committee archives... Jim, weren't you on it too?
    No DB I didn't volunteer for the Committee as I'm more of a modeler than a stats/data person. If/when you get a consensus answer I'll definitely put it down for both my Clipper 1/1000 ST and my 1/700 Warlords version. Thanks!

P.S. I did have another question for you and others concerning a possible update to ships used for a Constitution vs. Guerriere? We used HMS Sybille in the past, but would there be a better substitute (3D printed or otherwise) at this point.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Would you say then that the veer 2 was a better match for the Santisima DB?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    I personally think so, but IIRC there were concerns about being too harsh. My gut impression is that ST was more for propaganda effect than practical, much like the Kalinin K-7 of the 1930s.

Spain: "We have the most heavily armed warship in the world! Look upon it, and tremble in despair!"
    Also Spain: *outfits said ship with an entire deck of weaponry so useless that having the crew drop trou and fling their own POOP out the gunports would have more terminal effect*
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I personally think so, but IIRC there were concerns about being too harsh. My gut impression is that ST was more for propaganda effect than practical, much like the Kalinin K-7 of the 1930s.

Spain: "We have the most heavily armed warship in the world! Look upon it, and tremble in despair!"
    Also Spain: *outfits said ship with an entire deck of weaponry so useless that having the crew drop trou and fling their own POOP out the gunports would have more terminal effect*
    Couldn't we just make up two sides of a ship card to show possible variations on the ST (like Constitution and Bonhomme Richard)? I've often wondered what the British would have done with the ST if she hadn't sunk in the storm? (prison ship, broken up or ?)

As mentioned above I'd also like to see some clarification for Santa Ana? While I never anticipate fighting Trafalgar a snippet of the engagement would be interesting. (Santa Ana vs. HMS Royal Sovereign & HMS Belleisle).
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb