Thread: USS Constitution - Band 1: Vor Gericht und auf See sind wir alle in Gottes Hand

Hybrid View

Really, you would think a story about the USS Constitution would be in english. I would love to read both

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Really, you would think a story about the USS Constitution would be in english.
    I think the reason for those stories not being published in English is due to the different status that comics have in the respective language areas. In the English-speaking world, I have the impression that comics are dominated by Disney and Marvel superheroes and have never left the "children's and teen's corner". In the French-speaking world, on the other hand, comics are much more of a serious literary form that also adults engage with. Every time I go on vacation in France, I'm impressed by the huge selection of high-quality comics there.
    In Germany, we seem to be somewhere in between, so I'm lucky enough to be able to read some great series in my mother tongue as well.
    My French is good enough to book a campsite or to go shopping, but not sufficient enough to read a long story, nor a comic

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I think the reason for those stories not being published in English is due to the different status that comics have in the respective language areas. In the English-speaking world, I have the impression that comics are dominated by Disney and Marvel superheroes and have never left the "children's and teen's corner". In the French-speaking world, on the other hand, comics are much more of a serious literary form that also adults engage with. Every time I go on vacation in France, I'm impressed by the huge selection of high-quality comics there.
    In Germany, we seem to be somewhere in between, so I'm lucky enough to be able to read some great series in my mother tongue as well.
    My French is good enough to book a campsite or to go shopping, but not sufficient enough to read a long story, nor a comic
    In the US these types of comics are marketed as "Graphic Novels" to teens and adults, but overall when someone says comic book people think of Marvel super heroes. A good example of an adult comic or graphic novel is "300" but that only attained mass popularity due to the movie. I have a very nice "comic book" about Waterloo that came out in 2015, it may be out in English, but my copy is the Dutch version - "Die Slacht bij Waterloo".