Thread: Artillery fire from fortifications?

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

More thoughts on Forts. We have played some games but always fairly basic rules with some optional ones thrown in such as wind changes. I want to play Batter the Tower next Tuesday night which is a scenario by Jonas Emmett https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/245...rio-13-players

As we will have 3 players this seems like a good scenario that also introduces more advanced rules to us. I was wondering about fire damage if the fort uses hot shot. The bit about the French player seems a bit ambiguous to my mind. "Additionally, when the tower fires ball ammunition or double shot and deals damage that does not include any fire special damage, draw one E damage counter. If it has a Crew Loss symbol, the target must place a fire damage marker in their Special Damage section. Reshuffle the E counter together with the unused E counters." Does anyone have any thoughts on this hot shot stuff?
    Last edited by Baxter; 11-19-2021 at 18:34.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We have special amendments for hot shot in our games as follows Gary:-

If heated shot is used it may not be double shotted because of the danger to crews. However, if any 0 cards drawn, one of them may indicate a misfire rather than a miss at the receiving end and the guns then draw a single E damage counter for that broadside, just as the ships do for fire damage. If a crewman symbol comes up the gun explodes and the crewman goes into the crew damage box closing one box. With regards ship damage, we are a bit kinder with the rules and damage for fire is only drawn if the damage indicated is hull, rudder or masts. If a card indicates flooding no fire is caused for obvious reasons. Also, guns firing heated shot take twice as long to load as do normal ones because of the tricky handling of hot shot.
    If the scenario dictates a covert attack by the ship the furnaces will not start heating shot until the alarm is raised. It will then take five moves to heat the shot, even before loading can begin. This does not preclude firing normally until the hot shot is ready.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.