Thread: Other Games

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Other Games

At the risk of being hung, drawn and quartered and forever being known as the scurvy dog ...... Would it be possible to have a sub forum created for other sailing games? I ordered Oak and Iron the other day and am intending to have a go at painting those 1/600 models. I am pretty sure that a few others here have probably got that or similar games and it seems to me that there is a spot for alternate games here.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst we are not averse to discussing other games here Gary, as we are ostensibly the Sails of Glory Anchorage, I would have to get approval for any such move from the First Sae Lord before such a move could be envisaged. Then it would need to be ratified by the Navy Board.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

NOT proposing a separate forum for other games but Windy Jack and I have been dabbling in Oak & Iron and had our second game (the Quick Start Game scenario) yesterday. This is in addition to our once a week Wings of Glory/Sails of Glory games (we had our weekly aerial stoush on Tuesday night). I bought the Core game, the Men of War, Blackbeard's Revenge and yet to be received Ships of the Line expansions which will give me 14 ships including every ship type available. You have to paint the 1/600 minis unless you love brown plastic but it was not too hard even for someone like me who failed finger painting. If I may be so bold I can recommend this game as an interesting look at how the other half functions. Firing is not simultaneous and it is a dice based different but enjoyable game to get into. Also you get to play a squadron rather than the individual ship AND you get some cool bits and pieces you can use in SoG, like a Caribbean mat and islands, reefs and shoals. I have found I like one of the included movement templates for moving my North Seas Dirigible in WoG too.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like there could be some interesting bits of kit worth picking up there Gary.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.