Thread: Old/New Resource

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Old/New Resource

I rediscovered threedecks.org the other day when doing a google search for a ship. A not very well supported site but it has tons and tons of information about ships. Not easy to use though as I found the search part a bit naff. Probably best using google and searching for things like "HMS Victory threedecks.org" rather than going for the precision search within the website.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Take its information with a grain of salt--it's what Ares first started using as the "bible" to build the game around before I introduced them to Rif Winfield's books along with Paul Silverstone's, and we still use it as a backup, but it's not 100%.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have found quite a few errors there whilst using it for my potted biography of ships of the Royal Navy.
    I also cross reference it with Rif Winfield. However, when there is nothing else to go on it comes in handy sometimes.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Ok thanks. Hmm Rif Winfied ..... I wonder if he is on Kobo or Kindle.

Yes he is. I will check him out if he is cheap enough.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not cheap but worth every penny.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have both his books on the British of our period also his French and hope that one day we may get the Spanish one too.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.