Thread: A question for our American cousins.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default A question for our American cousins.

During today's game a question arose which I could not answer. As the Muslim crews were not allowed to use the advantage of letting the men drink, should the Americans be allowed this as American ships were dry.
    My question therefore is were American ships dry in this period, ans if not when did the change take place?
    For the games sake I allowed them to use the rule.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If memory serves, American ships going dry is comparatively recent... it goes back at least to the 1920s with Prohibition, but I'm not sure how much further. I'll try to get you an answer if nobody beats me to the punch.

EDIT: Here we go! https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-the-navy.html

https://news.usni.org/2014/07/01/hun...nd-alcohol-sea

"There are exceptions to the rule. Ships keep a small stock of alcohol for so-called medicinal purposes such as when a crewmember is shaken by an accident or a pilot is suffering from the pressures of a demanding mission. The alcohol can only be issued on the authority of the medicinal officer or captain of the ship. During World War II, some submarine commanders, such as Adm. Eugene Fluckey of the USS Barb tried to relieve the stress of living in a contained and dangerous environment by providing his crew with beer after an enemy ship was sunk. In 1980, Secretary of the Navy Edward Hidalgo decided to allow crew members of ships that had been out to sea for an extended period to each have two beers (later set to 45 continuous days). According to letter by Capt. Lawrence B. Brennan, published in Naval History magazine, the surprise announcement to again permit limited beer on board was prompted by Hidalgo’s experience on USS Enterprise during World War II when a kamikaze attack plane crashed though an elevator and destroyed the cargo of beer."

1914, so by all means Let The Men Drink unless you have a very strict captain.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

And there's the reason why Americans refer to a "cup of Joe" when they are talking about coffee

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the quick answer DB.
    Glad I did the correct thing.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.