Thread: An affair in Morocco . July Mission:- Sounding out the enemy.(Part One.)

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was at this point that Captain Millington ordered an abandonment of the chase and now that the danger had been nullified, he returned to the job of taking soundings along the shoals.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-11-2021 at 09:09.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

By the time he had come about the 50 had anchored in front of a small fort on the coast, drawing David’s attention to it as another potential threat to be added to the chart.
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-11-2021 at 09:49.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The longboat was once again lowered and the survey continued.
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-11-2021 at 09:10.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The only other enemy ship in the offing was a small Galley, and this posed no real threat with the guns of Essex covering the longboat as it worked.
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-11-2021 at 09:11.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The survey and soundings continued all along the reef until Essex started to attract the attention of the harbour battery once more, at which point he recalled the ship’s boat and turned out to sea, well satisfied with his day’s work.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having rendezvoused with the Nautilus, the two captains spent the evening over a glass or two of Canary conferring over the charts and plotting the positions of shoals, and uncovered batteries with their ranges, which the enemy gunners had so kindly supplied by opening fire.

The next part of the mission would be carried out by the Nautilus.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Butcher’s Bill.
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-11-2021 at 09:16.