Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for July?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Dave--shading for tumblehome would probably have to be a fleetwide, so it doesn't work for a Vessel Visual Identification System marking. (Me, if the Admiralty had come to me and asked for advice I would have probably done something like the orange slash on US Coast Guard cutters today, but with two such stripes--the first identifying the squadron, the second identifying the ship in it. Something like the interwar US Navy's colorful aircraft-ID markings.)

Those long skinny Harbor Freight cases are No-Go--they're only 4.75" section length inside, for a two-ship row we need at least 6", and the dividers are only removable not repositionable. Back to the Dream Team of Plano & Dremel...

Ship basing math... each magnet I use is 5/16" O.D., about 8mm. Three magnets inside a 28mm spacing... well, if my math is right three magnets are 24mm of length, leaving a 4mm "slop" or 2mm spacing between them. I need to run another test with three magnets clustered together on-center... the evil little beasts seem to get dramatically stronger when they're stuck together as a single mass. (Why 28mm? That's the Ares minimum size for a ship in the game, and my thinking is a standardized mount will ensure compatibility fleetwide.)

Ugh, gotta find a magnet with a marked North pole so I can mark mine... these things will screw over a compass if they get too close to it. Hmm... maybe I could take a small portion-cup, float it in a bowl with the magnets inside and see which end goes north.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Compass alignment brings a whole world of pain at that scale DB. I can only just make out the binnacle let alone the compass.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And with my eyes... have I mentioned before that if you have me stand at the back of a Handicap Parking space without my glasses, I can't read the sign just a carlength in front of me?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If i remove my glasses and try to read this screen which is at 200x magnification I cant read it either, and that is with my good eye.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Have I mentioned before that because of the dark shades I have to wear almost all the time, back in college my cop buddies and I ate well because of stupid people with attitude problems getting on the wrong side of sucker bets about "lunch for the whole range says you can't outshoot the 'blind' kid over here?"

:D
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    You can put balls in this paint to aid mixing, but I have not needed them so far, although I have only mixed four paints up to now, but one was pretty far gone and stirred up O.K.
    Rob.
    I use waterbased colours and if time goes by, they get thick. A few drops of water and two mixing balls transfer them into perfect condition again. It's worth a try.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven,
    I will bear that one in mind.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Have I mentioned before that because of the dark shades I have to wear almost all the time, back in college my cop buddies and I ate well because of stupid people with attitude problems getting on the wrong side of sucker bets about "lunch for the whole range says you can't outshoot the 'blind' kid over here?"

:D
    That is an ace story DB.

When I lost the sight in my right eye, i only had my very short sighted Left to work with, Great for painting small details if you get the light just right.
    However, when I attended my Archery Club they were a bit worried. My friend John said I was shooting better than when I was sighted. I think that was because the only thing I could see for the fog was the gold shining out. With no outers to put me off, I had to make sure I was aiming correctly. However, the Risk Assessment Police said I was a danger to other members, so I had to stop.
    Wish i had thought about getting my friends to place a few bets on the blind archer.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So, additional testing... IF I can find a 5/16 bit for my Dremel (or get my trusty heavy-duty cordless out of Storage) to hog out magnet mounting holes without destroying a base, the REM's I have do have plenty of "stick" to washers through the glass.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The outcome will be interesting DB. I would like to see the pictures when you have a definitive answer.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not so much as whats on, but will be shortly, have bit the bullet and a 3d printer now enroute to Bristol

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well done that man.
    I applaude your intrepid nature.
    The seas are now your oyster if you can print one!
    May I ask what that has set you back?

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The printer itself was £270, used some of my retirement pot

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just starting some cards for static fortifications, which need more variety than just blatting away like a frigate.
    Here is the first in my Tripoli campaign series.
    French will follow with distinctions between trained artillerists and add hock Militia manned forts etc.
    Also old bronze and cast iron guns.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

GVFM. I would say Chris.
    It should give you many hours of pleasure in your retirement.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I must say thanks to Guntruk, as well as the info from Jonas that pushed me over the edge, plus info from Dave Manley also.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The outcome will be interesting DB. I would like to see the pictures when you have a definitive answer.
    Rob.
    So just as a test, here we have Purisima Concepcion stuck UPSIDE DOWN to the top of a doorframe by only two magnets ans two washers, with the base's glass in between. The test wasn't very long because of the crap tape holding the washers to the ship, but with stronger adhesive it would work just fine.
    Name:  20210719_171628.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  58.5 KB
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I recommend this type of drill bit for mounting your magnets, DB. It should make a tidy hole.

Name:  20210719_210659.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  174.3 KB

I got a pack of different sizes including 5/16" from Lowe's.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Forster bit? I was hoping for something with a shank that'd fit in my little Dremel rather than having to escalate to Heavy Duty on stuff this small.

Thanks, Dobbs--I'll check Hobby Lobby first then escalate if needed. We have a small fortune in Lowe's cards anyway thanks to Boeing handing them out like Halloween candy as employee recognition for a while...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    The printer itself was £270, used some of my retirement pot
    Got any pictures of what it looks like Chris?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Not so much as whats on, but will be shortly, have bit the bullet and a 3d printer now enroute to Bristol
    Congratulations!

What make did you buy, if I may ask?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Rob, not arrived yet possibly tomorrow.
    Jonas it was the Mars pro2

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will just have to rein in my curiosity for another day then Chris.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Chris, that's the exact same printer I have, but another manufacturer. It's the same resolution, basically the same build area, both are mono-printers... I'd say it's a good choice.

My descriptions should work for you as written.

I'm happy to hear that someone else here now have a similar resin printer. I hope we can learn from each other.

As a little bonus I add this link: https://www.myminifactory.com/object...morocco-114986

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not fair, not fair Jonas. If only I could get that in 1200 scale!
    Do you know what scale that one is?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Sorry, Rob, but when I printed it the largest it can go on my printer, it looked ok in scale.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oooooh a pretty port, but will need some practice first. My first trials Im hoping will be some Indiaman merchants

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Good to hear we got similar printers! i agree hopefully we can pool ideas, info, and errors to learn from each other, though I am a tad behind you at the moment

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That sounds O.K. Jonas. your port is so good it hurts.
    Even undersize is better than oversize, as the port tends to be in the middle distance most of the time, and the moored ships can be scaled down too if they are just for eye candy.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A very nice man has dropped off a couple of nice box’s now reading a manual

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear Chris.
    I wish you well with your reading.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Ah! The joy of calibration will soon be yours!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Mars 2 Pro - good choice. I've had mine for a few months and have had zero duff prints from it. Lovely piece of kit :)
    PS I've done your ratline makers but I guess you don't need them now :)

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes please Dave, may be a while before I get the hang, so need to furnish the other ships done. If you dont mind of course.
    For future am looking to have one for each rate of ship

If they wotk for me that is

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Further testing with Plano 3730: Artesiens fit just fine, though the bases slant a little. Still need divider sockets shaved to use the middle cells in each row. Need to get to the other storage site to pick up SGN102/104 for testing--since that's clear at the other end of the county it depends on when my aunt needs something done over at her place.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

It's been some time since I've posted on the Anchorage, but I do check in fairly regularly. I'm not really building SoG ships currently, but I have used some of my existing builds in a new hobby interest, crafting book nooks. Photos of the Pirate Cove attached, which I just finished a few weeks ago. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That looks incredible!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Beautiful work Jim.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-22-2021 at 15:54.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very nice

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the positive comments (and rep Chris). I'm only dabbling in the book nook creation field at present. A true master is Malcolm Stamp from the UK. His Captain's Cabin and Below Decks (inspired by the O'Brian novels) is amazing! He just posted this on YouTube after I asked him if I could share with folks on the Anchorage. Enjoy.

Last edited by Nightmoss; 07-23-2021 at 08:53. Reason: typo
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for that link Jim, would be great to play in the background of a game.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    It's been some time since I've posted on the Anchorage, but I do check in fairly regularly. I'm not really building SoG ships currently, but I have used some of my existing builds in a new hobby interest, crafting book nooks. Photos of the Pirate Cove attached, which I just finished a few weeks ago. Cheers!
    Wow that's awesome Jim! I've been wanting to try book nooks for a while now! Great inspiration!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Wow that's awesome Jim! I've been wanting to try book nooks for a while now! Great inspiration!
    Thanks Vol (for the rep as well). If you're really interested in giving book nooks a go I highly recommend a Facebook group called BookScapes Book Nook Dioramas. An amazing resource and inspiration site on FB without one bit of drama.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thank you for that link Jim, would be great to play in the background of a game.
    Rob.
    Thank you for the rep, Rob. According to the creator (Malcolm) he used over 40 pieces of video and sound all acquired via other donors and then put it all together using open source software available on the Internet.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bit beyond my expertise I'm afraid Jim.
    Thanks for your time anyway.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Fort McHenry is on hold for the moment due to thinking challenges. Getting the surrounding terrain just right is hard on the thinking cap.

As a distraction, mimicking Bligh's shoals was very appealing.

Name:  20210729_170529.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  149.9 KB

They came about when I decided to make a Chesapeake Bay style island (flat and marshy), and had a lot of plastic base scraps left over.

Name:  20210729_171711.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  191.3 KB

Both the shoals and the island are definitely still on the work bench. There are many nuances yet to add.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I did. Thanks, Rob. The pictures are being carefully inspected. I am chaffing at the bit to continue, but I must wait until my next trip out the peninsula to buy gloss greens, browns, and such. I'm looking forward to trying to belt sander rocks....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sandstone is easy Dobbs.
    Don't try Granite.
    You may also need a dish of water nearby. They get hot quickly.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210730_071309.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  229.8 KB

Wood chips, the granite alternative.

Used here on Moot Point Light.