Thread: Spanish frigate selection

Landsman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Walarik

Default Spanish frigate selection

Hello, I would like to purchase Spanish frigate, and I am struggling to choose from:

-Mahonesa 1789 / Ninfa 1795
    -Diana 1792 / Proserpina 1797

is there any significant difference between those two? Anything I should take into consideration, when making decision? Sorry if my question is dumb, but I am pretty new to the game. Thanks for understanding. Looking forward to your suggestiopns.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Walarik and welcome to the site.
    The two models you mention are identical, they all belong to the same class of frigate, the Mahonesa class, so no difference in game terms.
    Also if you get another you could slso have one of the other two frigates in this class the Esmerelda or the Venganza.

If I can help in any further way just ask

Chris

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Worth noting that one side of each is significantly better than the other; Ares has never given a satisfactory historical explanation for this deliberate design decision, nor the absurd over-strengthening the stats and UNDER-sizing the models on the other Spanish ships.

It's frustrating... as one of the Research Team I call "ICEBERG STRAIGHT AHEAD!" and sometimes they steer straight into it Full Speed Ahead anyway. :(

Advice, shipmate: Get whatever you want and can afford while you can, at present glacial pace it's gonna be a while before anything new comes along.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On behalf of the Royal Navy Officers and men, welcome to the Anchorage Walarik. I'm sure that you will find lots of interesting information here and many of our members keen to help you along your chosen course. The two messages you have already had give you sound advice for starting off, and remember our addage, that the only silly question is the one that you don't ask.
    Sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welome to the Anchorage, Walarik. There is nothing extra I can add to the above advice.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, I will wish you welcome here too...

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Well after the fact, but Ares maintains a points value list on their site, so you can check out ahead of time the relative strengths of ships that otherwise isn’t apparent from their descriptions.

https://www.aresgames.eu/download/21285/

Hopefully that will get you there. I use it all the time when deciding on purchases, so that the ships I have remained roughly balanced for each side.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    Well after the fact, but Ares maintains a points value list on their site, so you can check out ahead of time the relative strengths of ships that otherwise isn’t apparent from their descriptions.

https://www.aresgames.eu/download/21285/

Hopefully that will get you there. I use it all the time when deciding on purchases, so that the ships I have remained roughly balanced for each side.
    Some of the points values and other stats are a little questionable, there was some Munchkinry to favor the Spanish in particular.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Some of the points values and other stats are a little questionable, there was some Munchkinry to favor the Spanish in particular.
    Never noted one that I felt was off - but I haven’t examined every ship. Examples?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

All of the Spanish ships are overpowered compared to what they historically should be. (Main batteries of 24-pdrs on the 74s so they should throw less than SGN104, and the frigates are like 18-pdr 38 stats on 12pdr 32 models.) There was also IIRC a matter of them being "discounted" on points a little when they launched.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

I was only talking about point values. Specific examples? Incorrect gun values/stats are annoying, but within the game itself, immaterial - so long as the point values reflect the model’s capabilities.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

First let me stipulate that my memory is not all that it used to be, I think that discussion was many years ago and would be somewhere in an old thread here. I'll try to look it up when I get back to the laptop after finishing the day's errands.

Bear in mind, as part of the Research Team I just find and provide the raw data for them, I'm not privy to the sausagemaking of how they turn those numbers into game stats and my personal suspicion is that it's less science and more "That Looks About Right" flinging spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks. This has been a nightmare for the Stats Committee trying to slot in extensions for rates we don't have...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

I don't want to open old wounds here, but I would still like to ask if it is certain that the Spanish Mahonesa frigates all only carried 12 pounders?
    What about the Spanish 40-gun frigate Medea?
    Even just 12 pounders?
    In my sources I only ever find the English versions with 18 pounders.

Please don't play the "Thread Necromancer" card :-)

I wanted to implement Dobb's Reduced Firepower rule (-1 to damage when firing 12-pounders at Frigates) in a Naval Battle Cape Santa Maria 1804 scenario. But you should be sure that they really only had 12 pounders...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Per Ares, the short-track side is meant as a 12pdr 34 and long-track an 18pdr 40--I did get an answer from Andrea a while back and posted it in another thread but forgot to followup here. If what I heard from several folks who follow Spanish naval history is right, they used very similar hull designs for both, possibly even "close enough for near-sister" aside from what gun load any given ship had racked into the ports.

I'm confident we'll have clearer answers once Spanish Warships in the Age of Sail releases, but the hard part is waiting until IIRC April when it ships. Kinda frustrating to know that help is at once so close and so far... I think I understand what the 101st at Bastogne felt like in a small way.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB