Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Default Loose guns to be 3D printed.

I asked Henry Turner if he couldn't sell guns loose for fortifications on facebook. He put them up on Wargamer3D.

I've bought them but haven't printed any yet.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice, thanks for the info Jonas

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It would certainly be nice to get guns that looked correct and as detailed as Henry does them Jonas.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My one complaint about Henry is that I think he sometimes OVER-details for our scale, modeling hollow spaces and details in them that our paintbrushes can't reach--with how detailed he makes each of his gundecks, it might be better to print each deck as a separate sub-model, paint them and stack them like a layer cake.

Yes, these models are THAT good!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I can’t imagine where you get that from. This must be the absolute minimum of details needed for something that’s a few millimeters long.

Name:  DD2AFD04-2E93-4BB1-BFB6-F12FDA889272.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  107.9 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The details really pops when printed in our scale.

Name:  A7BAD1B3-7DDF-40A0-B15E-F41352FD8624.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  80550B5C-E107-4322-90A6-B1F931B6E562.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  169.1 KB

Name:  FF7FB396-3E2D-4090-A6D9-EDC050985952.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  147.5 KB

This is a 32 pdr and I’m looking forward to see a printed 4 pdr…

At least I got 168 guns from a 15 minute print without trying to pack them tight.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My point illustrated--that gun is a beautiful model all by itself, far more detailed than anything on an Ares ship. Individual components like the trunnion and its brackets, I'm not sure I could even SEE on the physical model in hand even with my new 3x magnifier clipons.

For example, if I had been sculpting a 74 I would have done Ares style grates-and-boats rather than the open waist with exposed UD guns, or made separate models for base hull, LD, two-decker UD module / frigate QD/FC module and 74 QD/FC. This is not meant to knock Henry's models, I look forward to acquiring more, just noting that "doing it by the blueprints" is sometimes more than the painter/builder can follow. (Parallel illustration: in college, a prof and I were penciling out an aircraft design where on a wing of four hundred feet span, the leading edge tolerances were measured not in millimeters but in individual molecules.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That gun looks great Jonas.
    As far as what we can paint, I have yet to find that problem, but am sure there must be a way round it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That gun looks great Jonas.
    As far as what we can paint, I have yet to find that problem, but am sure there must be a way round it.
    Rob.
    Painting the UD guns in the waist: Get an endoscope and the finest paintbrush ever made?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I will indulge here for a couple of my forts

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

By the way... The guns scaled at 2.75% appears to be in the correct scale. I think Henry have made the guns a little bit out of scale on some of the 1:1000 ships to make them print better. I printed his 32 pdr at 3% above. I think that's perfect for the fortification guns.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Just purchased the guns as well as a ratline maker, at same time, if anyone interested, free on the Wargaming3d is an Eastindiaman merchant ship and a Swan class sloop

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just don't know about getting these things printed Chris. I just don't want to keep putting on people like Jonas, who did me a great favour with the Frigates.
    Rob.