Thread: Ratline maker

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Ratline maker

I see on the wargaming 3d site there is a little device down as a ratline maker, currently on sale at $1?
    Have any of our owners of a 3d printer partaken of this device and if so how does the finished product look ?
    It says on the blurb it is designed for 1/700 but I am pretty sure it can be resized to 1/1000 as the ships.
    If a worthwhile item it could be very useful for rigging
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 07-03-2021 at 10:35.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That may even convince me to rig those ships I showed you on Thursday Chris.The ones I have put in the KR trays would not cause storage problems for me like the boxed ones do.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes that would help Rob.
    Reading the instructions the frame would be relatively easy to make, you then thread cotton or some such across the frame and up and down, then use a watered down pva glue and left to dry, but for $1 it may be just as easy to get one printed

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you decide to do it may I prevail upon you to get one done foer me Chris?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

To be honest, at this scale I'd suggest the Easy Button is to just Warlord it and use printed "lines" on thin transparency sheet.

Those who are brave enough to hand-fab ratline assemblies from thread, I salute you.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just fancy the idea DB. I may live to regret it!
    Rob.

I have always used homemade ratline jigs I made from old debit/credit cards.
    I printed the $1 3D jig and used it for the first time tonight.

Name:  20210713_190647.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  168.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a nice bit of kit Vol.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hoping to get one of these soon myself to try out, I now have around 30 ships needing ratlines.
    Have you tried cutting off the maker yet and what glue have you used ?

Cutting off the maker Chris? I'm not sure what you mean. I am using a spot of super glue at each thread junction. A pain because I have to wear a respirator due to my allergy. I have tried PVA in the past but it just doesn't hold well. I use two different weights of cotton thread. The cotton soaks up the glue quickly and bonds instantly.
    My only complaint is that there is so much waste with this jig. With my debit card jigs, I have one for the longer lower shroud sets and one for the shorter uppers. I made them for each ship rate. But I wanted to try this 3D jig out.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It would have been more efficient design to interleave the lines, so as you go along one side of the jig it has the deck end of one half a ratline pair, then the masthead end of the other, then the first deck end for the next pair and so on. Sort of like how if you put two isosceles triangles long sides together you get a rectangle. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just glad you chaps are checking out all the baggy wrinkles. As a hand with no experience, I will just follow the flow.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Cutting off the maker Chris? I'm not sure what you mean. I am using a spot of super glue at each thread junction. A pain because I have to wear a respirator due to my allergy. I have tried PVA in the past but it just doesn't hold well. I use two different weights of cotton thread. The cotton soaks up the glue quickly and bonds instantly.
    My only complaint is that there is so much waste with this jig. With my debit card jigs, I have one for the longer lower shroud sets and one for the shorter uppers. I made them for each ship rate. But I wanted to try this 3D jig out.
    My understanding as to how this worked was to wind cotton around the jig, then cover all with pva and let dry, then cut out the ratline ready to make a new set.
    Once dry the pva should set hard allowing the shaping to size.
    This worked ok with my ACW covered wagons so assumed the same with cotton. You sa6 yours did not work Voll?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have done lashing for Trebuchets with PVA watered down to penetrate the strands. A couple of coats and after 25 years and all the strain of shooting they are still rock solid, so I imagine the same treatment with Pva on cotton should work fine.
    Rob.

Well I suppose I could try it again. Lord knows I would love not having to wear the respirator! The only time I used PVA before, the ratlines came apart while I was mounting them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Worth a go Vol. I have the same problem with Superglue and my Respirator makes fine work much more difficult.
    Rob.

These are my home made jigs for uppers and lowers

Name:  20201229_192512.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  20201106_205632.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  103.8 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Well I suppose I could try it again. Lord knows I would love not having to wear the respirator! The only time I used PVA before, the ratlines came apart while I was mounting them.
    What I'd be tempted to do if you could find a coating that PVA wouldn't stick to, maybe string the whole assembly up then dunk the whole enchilada into a vat of watered-down glue to soak, then haul out and let dry. Maybe layer in plastic wrap and put between some heavy books to press flat, or wooden blocks and a vise.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will be waiting on what Chris comes up with before making any decisions about my attack on this problem, but the pressing idea certainly seems a good one, as long as not too much is added.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My intention for these would be as per DB, wind on the cotton then soak the whole jig in a watered down pva solution overnight, take out and let dry for a day or so.
    Well thats the plan anyway