Thread: Revisiting the Spanish 74's...

Threaded View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Right now I'm using Montanes as a "paratype"* in the absence of an Ildefonso drawing; I'll happily add one as soon as one turns up. The only one I know of is Diddams's 1/96 drawing of HMS Ildefonso fitted as a victualing depot in the Greenwich collection, which hasn't been digitized yet.
    *In biology, particularly paleontology terms, when the holotype specimen used to describe a new species in incomplete or lost/destroyed** a "paratype" is sometimes designated that closely matches what is/was known of the holotype and adds more pieces to the puzzle.
    **Textbook example, the holotype of Spinosaurus aegypticus, destroyed in WWII when a raid on Berlin fragged one of Humboldt Museum fur Naturkunde's storage annexes; the scientist who discovered it pleaded for it to be relocated to safety as other fossils were, but was kicked to the bottom of the priority list as he was rather "less than beloved" by Partei, Reich und Fuhrer. Whoa, you know you're venturing into arcana when even your footnotes have footnotes!

EDIT: Once upon a time the Spanish Navy had drawing scans on their website, but I can't seem to find them in the latest redesign.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-26-2021 at 16:57.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.