Hybrid View

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Spanish ships a new life

The current crop of Spanish ships caused a bit of a stir when released due to their small stature.
    The reasons for this have been discussed quite a bit here and safe to say Ares will not be making any changes.
    So for my Trafalgar project I purchased a number of SGN112 a and b to make up the majority of the Spanish fleet.

I intend to keep the Bahama as is but thanks to the 3d modelling I have already replaced the San Agustin, San Juan Nepomuceno 1766 and San Francisco de Asis. I also intend to replace the San Ildefonso and the Montanes class of ships.
    This has given me at least 8 Ares ships, shall we say spare.
    So I have been looking around to see if I can utilize these as other ships for the spanish navy, maybe some 64s.
    On the wargaming 3d site Simon Mann has a link to a list on Wiki of spanish warships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-_1750_to_1769

So using this I have come across the following and would like opinions as to the options.

Sgn112 has the following approx dimensions

Length. Gundeck 49mm or 51mm
    Width 14mm
    Depth 8 mm

Using the link from 3d site and backing up with 3 decks I have come across the folllowing two class of 68 guns ships lated updated to 70s then 74s which may be fudged to help

Triunfante class 8 ships

Length of Gundeck 185' 0 Burgos Feet 51.541 (169′ 1″ Imperial)
    Length of Keel 162' 0 Burgos Feet 45.1332 (148′ 0″ Imperial)
    Breadth 47' 4 Burgos Feet 13.1075 (43′ 0″ Imperial)
    Depth in Hold 22' 3 Burgos Feet 6.164 (20′ 2″ Imperial)

Serio class 7 ships

Length of Gundeck 184' 6" Burgos Feet 51.2641 (168′ 2″ Imperial)
    Length of Keel 160' 2" Burgos Feet 44.5768 (146′ 2″ Imperial)
    Breadth 50' 6" Burgos Feet 14.0693 (46′ 1″ Imperial)
    Depth in Hold 25' 2" Burgos Feet 6.9743 (22′ 10″ Imperial)

Not perfect match's but neither is my measurement of the model SGN112

So how do these look to take up the slack of excess Spanish ships, your opinions please or am I barking up the wrong tree
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 06-15-2021 at 02:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My knowledge of Spanish ships is very limited, so I will defer to those more knowledgeable on this subject. However your link may prove useful.
    Thanks for that Chris.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just went a bit further with your link Chris and looked at the sources.

García-Torralba Pérez, Enrique, Navíos de la Real Armada 1700-1860 (2014) ISBN 978-84-939303-4-9 seems to be unavailable on Amazon, although the link lists it as being there.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I just went a bit further with your link Chris and looked at the sources.

García-Torralba Pérez, Enrique, Navíos de la Real Armada 1700-1860 (2014) ISBN 978-84-939303-4-9 seems to be unavailable on Amazon, although the link lists it as being there.

Rob.
    If memory serves, he's Winfield's coauthor on the unpublished SWAS manuscript. If Winfield trusts him, we can too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Too small, but might work as an interim option caricaturing the size difference for emphasis. Triunfante and Serio are both similar LGD to a Slade Common 74 and the low end of the Gautier 74s at about 51-52m LGD, the bigger Gautiers would be near-peers to Temeraire at 55. (Mind you, you could see both extremes in the same class built from the same plans, and this happened on several of his 74 designs!)

If memory serves, SGN112 measured out about 47mm LGD (measure just under the LD ports from rear of cutwater to front of rudder), which would be more like a medium 64 in size.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for your input DB, I will look at others then.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Thanks for your input DB, I will look at others then.
    Like I said, they might work as an interim stopgap, then kick down into 64's until better come along for them, then down into the 56-60 "large Fourth Rate" range. Personally, I'm setting mine aside into Archival Storage to preserve collection value, planning replacements as soon as I find someone in the US who has a Commercial license for Henry's sculpts.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

Hello Capt. duff,

did you actually relabel the models of the Spanish 74s to 60s/64s?
    I'm considering doing the same with my models.
    What values ​​did you use for the 60/64 Spaniards?
    I would be interested in the classification.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is a single copy of that book on abebooks. A bit pricey at £300+P&P, but available; also a slightly more reasonable artillery text.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Amazon now seem to have one only in stock at £108.

Rob.