Thread: Gloria's 1st of June ... a Sails of Glory reconstruction

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Wink Gloria's 1st of June ... a Sails of Glory reconstruction

Gentlemen,

I haven't been here for a while but my wife recently posted an "album" on her Facebook page of a game we'd played that I thought might be of interest; if for no other reason than to share just how far we sometimes go to "immerse" ourselves into the experience. Although I'd botched up the scenario, we DID have a good time. I hope you find the following enjoyable:

actually, the Glorious 1st of June was fought in 1794 between two fleets about 400 miles off Ushant, France; a French fleet guarding a vital grain convoy from America and a British fleet trying to capture it. a few days beforehand, however, a small battle took place between a couple straggling French ships and up to six fast Brits sent ahead to snag them. this album shares our attempt to bring this minor engagement to life...ENJOY!

Name:  00_thumbnail (2) (s).jpg
Views: 227
Size:  139.5 KB

...another sloppy day with nowhere to go so, feeling an itch for high seas adventure, i throw on something "piratey"...

Name:  01_IMG_0749(s).jpg
Views: 226
Size:  171.7 KB

...just because i felt like making an "event" out of it...

Name:  02_IMG_0813(s).jpg
Views: 225
Size:  182.3 KB

...while Mike set us up with a game of Sails of Glory (he's given me a whole British fleet of 3rd Rate '74s!)...

Name:  03_IMG_0756(s).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  177.8 KB

...as well as a proper beverage to share for the occasion!

Name:  04a_thumbnail (7) (s).jpg
Views: 260
Size:  150.9 KB

...so i lift a glass toward my hubby...who's acting as a French commodore...

Name:  04b_IMG_0761(s).jpg
Views: 261
Size:  178.8 KB

...while he responds in kind, saluting me with his ruler

Name:  04c_IMG_0751(s).jpg
Views: 216
Size:  208.8 KB

...after doffing our rum and refilling my tankard with water (battles are dry work) i return to the table. this time we'll be using some squadron rules Mike whipped up in a pinch to try out a simple line battle

Name:  05_IMG_0753(s).jpg
Views: 250
Size:  188.2 KB

...these are our starting positions. Mike has a 3rd rate '74 and a 1st rate behemoth, the Montagne!
    i have two squadrons of 3rd rates...i guess that makes me an English admiral! one of my squadrons is on the board and the other will arrive later. i need to take or sink his ships; he needs to escape...we have 12 turns

Name:  06_IMG_0759(s).jpg
Views: 224
Size:  190.5 KB

...so we begin! first things first....i choose which card will determine the maneuver of my squadron. it is chosen from the slowest ship and applied to all

Name:  07_IMG_0788(s).jpg
Views: 226
Size:  176.4 KB

...as play begins, Mike ponders his choices...he has the weather gage which means he can choose when and where he wants to fight or to run

Name:  08_IMG_0763(s).jpg
Views: 244
Size:  197.8 KB

...after a few moves; on turn 4 i start bringing my second squadron onto the board. we're both reaching at full sail with all of our ships. i'm gaining on him, but not quickly enough

Name:  09_IMG_0765(s).jpg
Views: 230
Size:  191.4 KB

...by turn 6 we're more than halfway across the table and neither of us has fired a shot in anger. Mike is disappointed in his having totally underestimated the speed of his monster ship...he said he should be fighting for his life by now!

Name:  10_IMG_0767(s).jpg
Views: 227
Size:  199.2 KB

...finally, on turn 10, i swing the leading ships of both of my squadrons to starboard...turning against the wind...but i have no choice; we're running out of room and TIME!!!

Name:  11_IMG_0771(s).jpg
Views: 205
Size:  168.5 KB

...then Mike accepts the challenge and swings his '74 to port

Name:  12_IMG_0770(s).jpg
Views: 233
Size:  201.9 KB

...uh, oh...that's not looking good...i'd better lower some of my sails...

Name:  13_IMG_0774(s).jpg
Views: 200
Size:  164.7 KB

...while my reinforcing squadron still tries to catch up

Name:  14_IMG_0773(s).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  117.9 KB

...it's a good thing i reduced my sails because on turn 11 Mike's leading '74 is ready to start the ball rolling with a rake through my bows!

Name:  15_IMG_0775(s).jpg
Views: 195
Size:  136.3 KB

...which he did! it's a massive broadside and it's his first fire and, being typically French, he fires high! but, thanks to my slowing down, he misjudged the range and ended up firing long

Name:  16_IMG_0777(s).jpg
Views: 194
Size:  156.2 KB

...then he lets loose with his Montagne...118 guns!...also firing high to try to dismast me and also firing at long range. fortunately for me, the long range and his French gunnery being way off...most of his balls splash harmlessly into the ocean...

Name:  17_IMG_0779(s).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  184.5 KB

...but he DID do SOME damage and at first i had to figure how i was going to respond. in the meantime, Mike muttered something about his luck

Name:  18_IMG_0785(s).jpg
Size:  181.5 KB

...seeing that all was not lost, in the final turn of the game i was able to move closer to strike back with at least a partial broadside of my own...

Name:  19_IMG_0783(s).jpg
Views: 215
Size:  178.5 KB

...which wasn't much but at close range i could add my carronades to my fire and did SOME damage to his Montagne. so take THAT!!!

Name:  20_IMG_0809(s).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  179.8 KB

...sadly, in the end, my fleet was stretched out across the table while his ships were in a position to exit almost unmolested.

Name:  21_IMG_0801(s).jpg
Views: 201
Size:  175.7 KB

...we didn't accomplish much in our first attempt at ships of the line having it out with each other as they were meant to, but the squadron system seemed to work. we could have played another turn or two just to see Mike's ships off the board, but the end would have been pretty much the same

Name:  22_IMG_0807(s).jpg
Size:  301.3 KB

...the Butcher's Bill: after repairs the Montagne had suffered very little damage...

Name:  23_IMG_0805(s).jpg
Views: 199
Size:  320.5 KB

...whereas my poor HMS Spartiate lost a mast and a lot of sails...which would force her to temporarily drop out of the squadron to make repairs...but she'd be able to return to fight again!!!

Name:  24_IMG_0800(s).jpg
Views: 197
Size:  172.7 KB

...Mike saluted my game and humbly apologized for my not being able to bring his ships to bay. for what it's worth, the original fight ended about the same, in that it was a draw...but both sides were fairly beat up...especially the French who barely limped home

Name:  25_IMG_0794(s).jpg
Views: 234
Size:  183.4 KB

...so, we definitely WILL replay this scenario once Mike modifies the starting set-up to get our ships into action sooner. as it was, we both still DID have fun .... i LOVE these games!!!

And that's the way it was; an afternoon of "dress-up", rum and Sails of Glory. Fortunately for my wife, she drew some extremely forgiving damage chits; much more than half of them being harmless! That's OK, it'll keep her interested in the game. As my bride said, we WILL revisit this scenario and (hopefully) share another AAR. Until then, may the wind be always at your backs!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

An excellent AAR and beautifully illustrated. Bravo!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Excellent, looks very enjoyable, although for myself, sub port for rum

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great battle and very nice to have you back.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just good to see you both having a good time in these days of Covid Mike.
    The game was pretty well what a lot of Fleet actions seemed to end up like in the 18th Century.
    Congratulations on taking the trouble to get kitted up for the game. It certainly adds a little je ne sais quoi to the proceedings. I look forward to your next encounter.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Thanks everybody.

My bride and I normally fight duels between frigates and sloops, in various combinations, using the reduced chits system introduced a few years back at this site. We like them a lot! We'd used a couple 74s once or twice in the past but found we wanted to fight them in lines...and have sadly allowed them to gather a fair amount of dust; hence this first failed attempt at Squadron play. But as she and I have previously said, we WILL do this one again. I just wish we had other players nearby so that we could try a larger battle. SoG is a great game but is too fiddly in my mind to allow for fleet actions between two players and still utilize the Advanced Game detail which we find so enticing.

Oh, and as for our imbibing Port vs. Rum, we HAVE shared the other; as well as Madeira and Gin. It all depends on the weather and the mood! HA!

See you all again soon!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the good AAR, Michael.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Nice game, and very nice party.
    This is a lot of work, not only gaming. Where did you get that clothes ?
    Thank you for sharing.
    Regards

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Loved it Michael. The battle looked great, the costumes doubly so. I really liked the Pussers Rum and glasses too. Put a smile on my dial.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks for the AAR, the ships cards look to be a good innovation.

Great AAR and it looks like a good time by all, but it seems your opponent has the edge when it comes to taunting.