Thread: Whats on your workbench for June

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    DB, It's an interesting idea. It would be good to have, but it'll be a lot of work.
    This is why I suggest a team project. :) If I just throw up a Google sheet and we can all plug in links to contemporary paintings and dockyard models as we find them... well, one ship here and another there, and with just a little investment at a time we could have a good size database surprisingly quick. Like handing a hundred guys shovels and having 'em each turn a few shovelfuls of dirt to dig a ditch, "many hands make for light work." Even if all anyone else does is plug in a reference link and I break it down into gallery, gallery trim, base hull, side marking, and beakhead colors myself...

Big question... this one has Tremendous and Minden stalled. In the "Whitewalls" era (War of 1812 and Late Napoleonic), would beakheads have typically been white, or still yellow?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I wonder if we could do it here on the forum, kind of like what Rob did in the historical section.

Perhaps we could add model suggestions to his threads?

Or perhaps shorter posts without the history of the ships. I would think notable actions would be good to have though.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

For a sampling, I've started my own Excel spreadsheet with a tab each for Simon, Henry, Ares British, Ares French, Ares Spanish and Ares US. For ships Ares has officially released, I'm giving two entries, one each "as released" and "documented historical."

Sculpt Yr compl Ship Gallery main Gallery trim Hull main Hull stripes Toprail Fwd bulwark Beak rails Beak top Ref Ref Link
    Intrepid 1771 Intrepid Gold ?Prussian Blue Varnished wood Prussian Blue top
    Prussian Blue over Black waterline
    Gold Prussian Blue Gold
    Prussian Blue cutwater
    ? NMM dockyard model
    Intrepid 1778 America (Ares) Gold or Golden Yellow Yellow Black waterline and U/W Black Black Gold or Golden Yellow
    Intrepid 1782 Polyphemus (Ares) Gold or Golden Yellow Yellow Black waterline and U/W Black Black Gold or Golden Yellow
    Intrepid 1782 Standard ? ? Black White gundecks ?Black ? Golden Yellow ? 1807 Duckworth forcing Dardanelles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:D...ardanelles.jpg
    Intrepid 1783 Diadem Golden Yellow Black Black Yellow LD Black Black Golden Yellow ? 1806 Cape of Good Hope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H..._Whitcombe.jpg
    My suggestion for British ships from about the 1740s-1770s, Intrepid seems to be the standard "as launched" baseline. Beak tops are seldom shown on paintings or well photographed on models, so thought that might be a good place for discreet "model ID" markings if we can come up with a list of plausible period colors various fleets would've had readily available as shipboard/dockyard stores.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Feel free to use those as you will Chaps.
    At the moment I am still on the British Frigates, but have stalled a bit due to inertia. I was toying with doing something similar for the American Navy to get a bit of a change, but will help out however I can.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Perhaps we could add model suggestions to his threads?
    Jonas, there was a time when I was actually doing companion threads with modeling comments, before the Age of SLP... we could bring it back, personally I think the "ideal" would be to interleave Rob's historical commentary on a ship as one post and my own or another Stats Committee member's modeling and statting recommendations as a second post immediately following.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Jonas, there was a time when I was actually doing companion threads with modeling comments, before the Age of SLP... we could bring it back, personally I think the "ideal" would be to interleave Rob's historical commentary on a ship as one post and my own or another Stats Committee member's modeling and statting recommendations as a second post immediately following.
    I do remember. I was heavily involved in the which British first rate is the Victory.

I'm guessing I was the biggest user.

The landscape has changed drastically with 3D-printing, thought.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst waiting for paint to dry on my first Swedish Frigate, I decided to attempt to complete a project started by me 35 years ago.
    At present rate this should take about four more days,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today's work included fitting the slide mechanism, putting the ring bolts in place and rounding off the slider ends.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice project.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Todays work included gluing up the traverse mechanism for the Carronade.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today's work on the Carronade.
    Firstly completing the slide mechanism

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And this afternoon I produced the Gun port.

Nice model Rob. Did this come as a kit?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not a kit Jonas.
    Turned, milled and soldered together by me. Begun 37 years ago and I just got around to finishing it off this week.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is what I have done today.Turned and drilled out the wheels for the traverse.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also roughed out the axel support brackets.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Not a kit Jonas.
    Turned, milled and soldered together by me. Begun 37 years ago and I just got around to finishing it off this week.
    Rob.
    Wow. You started that before I started elementary school... :) And I thought my pair of B-29 atomic bombers that have been collecting dust on the bench for a decade and the custom competition pistol I started doodling out in college 20 years ago but never started cutting metal on were "stalled projects"...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Wow Rob, that is beautiful work!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the comments chaps and thanks for the Rep Vol.
    I am just about to process the photos from today's work which I will download in a few minutes time.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today's work.Cutting out and filing the brackets to shape.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Making the axels and trial fitting the rollers.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Drilling the support and fitting the brackets.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Assembly complete and ready for riveting up.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Excellent work Rob, but do you think we can get it mounted onto one of the models?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was thinking of putting it into one of my fortifications and then daring anyone to attack it. At that scale one hit, one ex ship.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I was thinking of putting it into one of my fortifications and then daring anyone to attack it. At that scale one hit, one ex ship.

Rob.
    Yeah, but how would they LOAD the thing? That'd be like what, a ten-thousand-pounder?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you can get a cannon up a Mountain, you can get a ball up 100 feet. My suggestion would be a load of smallet cannon balls and use it like a giant shotgun al a Giant grape, but not bagged. Only take a couple of hours to load that lot!

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A busy day today.
    After dooing the weeks shopping I got down to finishing the traversing cradle.
    First I cut down the rivets and then rivetted up the other end to the wheel supports.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next I positioned and drilled the fastenings for fixing the frame to the mainCarronade platform

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Finally I tapped up the bolts through the frame and also glued and cramped the two together, leaving them to go off tonight.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Beautiful work, Rob.

Helpful notes on "magnetic basing": #6 steel washers are the right size for a small two-decker's entire length, or the ends of a 74/80. 3/16" work for the middle section of large two-deckers, or the full length of correctly-scaled three-deckers. No idea what I'll need for frigates and smaller--the idea here is one washer each at extreme bow/stern, and one each just ahead/behind where the pin would be on an Ares ship. Corresponding rare-earth magnets go straight down the centerline of the base.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would say that with rare earth magnets, One fore and aft should suffice DB. If you find that insufficient yor can always add another amidships if needed.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This morning I have made a template for the preventer on the Breeching rope cable.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-22-2021 at 01:58.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Progress has gone on at a fair pace today.
    Filing to shape the two preventer brackets and squaring off the pins to immitate bolt heads.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next I drilled the fittings holes in the slider, and fitted both brackets adding their rings as I went.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That left me free to glue up the gunport at the front of the slide base.
    Tomorrow I will be able to start work on completing the Carronade Barrel.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I would say that with rare earth magnets, One fore and aft should suffice DB. If you find that insufficient yor can always add another amidships if needed.

Rob.
    Probable, but with no pin those magnets are the only thing holding the whole ship-lid-insert-base stack together.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

That left me free to glue up the gunport at the front of the slide base.
    Tomorrow I will be able to start work on completing the Carronade Barrel.
    Would the deck be underneath everything you've built, or is the block attached to the gunport considered part of the deck?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The deck would be underneath everything Dobbs.
    You can see the set up on HMS Victory. Only difference is that Victory's block is painted black.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The deck would be underneath everything Dobbs.
    You can see the set up on HMS Victory. Only difference is that Victory's block is painted black.
    Wow! Great picture. It shows how good your model is.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    Remember I have had 37 years to consider it and I still can,t work out how I am going to produce those blocks for the running out of the gun.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210623_070530.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  133.5 KB

When I needed a set of large blocks, I built them up from layers of model aircraft plywood. My thought was that, with the line led, you couldn't see the sheaves anyway, so why bother?

If you need pointers on reeving the line, I can give you input there.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great idea Dobbs.
    That may save a bit of work.
    I will try and source a bit of model plywood.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile, here is what I have been up to today.Having retrieved the base from the cramp, I set up the pivots for the Carronade lug to fit between.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-23-2021 at 12:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next I filed a flat on the Carronade Breech to accommodate the lug for the Breeching rope.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-23-2021 at 12:22.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the lug being roughed out, and after this I taped a template of the shape of the lug to the blank and drilled out the hole.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am now filing up the outer profile of the lug. This is where I got to this evening and the lug having a first fit.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Did carronades have gunlocks? It seems like they came about after gunlocks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not sure at what time they came in for Carronades, but this is purported to be a model for one.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob