Thread: Kickstarter Ships return from the Bermuda Triangle

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Default Kickstarter Ships return from the Bermuda Triangle

I was going through some boxes this past week and came across a limited number of Kickstarter Exclusive ships packs. For those that do not know what these are, they are ship packs that were only available when the game was launched on Kickstater back in 2015. The sculpts are the same as the other ships from Wave 1, but the cards/stats and paint jobs are different. I have placed up on my site for sale for anyone that wants to finish their collection or just needs to add more ships to their battles at sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Hi Keith, is the situation still the same in that you are not supplying to the UK due to the tax issues, or has that been resolved?
    Cheers

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Keith, is the situation still the same in that you are not supplying to the UK due to the tax issues, or has that been resolved?
    Cheers
    I'm sorry to say, but I still can't ship to the UK.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I'm sorry to say, but I still can't ship to the UK.
    That's a shame but I understand your position. I don't think we have a clue in the UK what's supposed to be happening as far as import duty and VAT is concerned. I know what the regulations say but I've had 3 shipments arrive and no tax was charged on them although all 3 were over the previous limit let alone the current one.
    Cheers

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Yeah, I don't think you guys will have to pay them now as the stores are required to pay it before they ship the packages.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Question: How do private transactions work with UK imports, say if one of our members here was willing to help a shipmate out? Would having a US-based individual make the purchase then send them on "at cost plus shipping" be a viable end-run on the bureaucratic nightmare?

I routinely do trades with folks in Continental Europe, Canada and Mexico where we help each other find figures in another line and correct their manufacturer's incompetence in distribution, so it occurs to me that such an arrangement might work out here too... find someone in the UK who's near John and has something a US member wants, have the American partner buy the KS's and do a trade or trade-plus-cash-balance and Bob's Yer Uncle.

John, which ships are you interested in and Keith, what would the package cost including shipping to Seattle (ballpark with ZIP 98101, not mine but the Museum of Flight which I use for "rough estimates")? I've been looking at Capn Duff's aftermarket-bases project, so depending on cost might be open to doing a ships-for-spare-bases flip, or if John is game to try to ferret out a few things over there that I'm looking for that might be possible options too.

Just spitballing ideas...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Yeah, I don't think you guys will have to pay them now as the stores are required to pay it before they ship the packages.
    These were all from Australia and certainly on 2 of the shipments the store didn't pay tax, I don't know about the 3rd one though and it came through Ebay so they might have collected it.
    I don't imagine there would be any difference between Australia and America but don't know that for sure.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Question: How do private transactions work with UK imports, say if one of our members here was willing to help a shipmate out? Would having a US-based individual make the purchase then send them on "at cost plus shipping" be a viable end-run on the bureaucratic nightmare?

I routinely do trades with folks in Continental Europe, Canada and Mexico where we help each other find figures in another line and correct their manufacturer's incompetence in distribution, so it occurs to me that such an arrangement might work out here too... find someone in the UK who's near John and has something a US member wants, have the American partner buy the KS's and do a trade or trade-plus-cash-balance and Bob's Yer Uncle.

John, which ships are you interested in and Keith, what would the package cost including shipping to Seattle (ballpark with ZIP 98101, not mine but the Museum of Flight which I use for "rough estimates")? I've been looking at Capn Duff's aftermarket-bases project, so depending on cost might be open to doing a ships-for-spare-bases flip, or if John is game to try to ferret out a few things over there that I'm looking for that might be possible options too.

Just spitballing ideas...
    Thanks for the thoughts on this Diamondback, much appreciated. I'm not really trying to complete a collection although Mrs V might not agree but was interested by Keiths post to see if his situation had changed regarding shipping to the UK.
    I would be tempted by the kickstarter ships and Keith doesn't inflate his rare pieces when they turn up although the cost of postage can be a big issue for me. Tempted but not sufficiently to go to a lot of trouble or cost to get them but thanks for the thought.

If there's anything I can help you with on this side of the pond just PM me and I'll try my best to help.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am interested in getting three of them Billy Rufian and the two Frigates, if any of you chaps over there are willing to send as a present. I will then reimburse you via Paypal also as a present.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, check your email. :) If Keith's willing to put those three on hold for you while we work out an arrangement, I'm your man.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

As Rob writes it must be sent as a gift from a private person to another. If offically any money is sent, there's a business transaction and a lot of bureaucracy ensues.

That's a big part of the reason I sent Rob the Swedish frigates for free. Another part is that I can't sell Henry's ships. That's why I wanted Rob to clear it with Henry. The last part is that the resin for that print was something like 30 ml and it's roughly £ 35 a litre.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Tim.
    I will check with Keith and get back to you.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

In the UK a business doesn't need to register for VAT if it's turnover is less than £85,000 a year, they do not pay or collect VAT. Maybe the same rule applies to US companies selling in the UK.

What the implications are when the goods arrive in this country I don't know but I imagine they would still want to collect VAT from the customer as in the past, but it would be the customer not the supplier who would be responsible.

It maybe that the income from UK sales for Keith is just not worth the hassle of even asking the question of HMRC but this quote is from Gov UK web site.

Overview
    You must register your business for VAT with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if its VAT taxable turnover is more than £85,000.

Cheers

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

This is great news. Thank you.