Thread: An Affair in Morocco part four ( The downside to the Sɪˈrɒkoʊ!)

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

........at the very last minute, with a final effort by the men on the bars of the capstan, the ship slipped off the bank which had held it imprisoned for hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

David could not fathom what motivated the Polacca’s captain’s next move.
    If it was a feeling that he could not clear the sandbar, or that he had seen Enterprise free itself, but he suddenly put his helm hard over to pass inside the sand bank, as if to cross the Enterprise’s bow before it could make headway.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

His move came a second too late as David had already initiated the raising of the anchor and retrieval of his ship’s boat.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At this moment the wind also chose to veer; now coming from the South East, which helped both ships to shape a better course to avoid the shoals.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having won her anchor, and with the boat’s crew safely aboard,
    David ordered the sails set and for the ship to be brought hard a starboard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Before this could be achieved, however, both ships had to endure each other’s opening broadsides.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Both ships sustained considerable damage, although Enterprise received slightly less, as she was provided more of a stable gun platform, not yet being underway.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whereas, the Polacca was heeling and firing higher in order to avoid burying her broadside in the sandbank.